delta vs dewalt planer -12.5-13 inch

I started my day early, (wish I was 30 again)

Boy Lennie, you said a mouthful, and I'll second and third and fourth.......... THAT Motion.:thumb:

Congratulations on that Planer. I have heard a LOT of good things about it and I looked one over closely when they first came out it looked like a really well made machine and looked like the Dust collection should be a cut above average when hooked up to a DC. One thing though, BE SURE to use some REALLY GOOD Hearing protection when you use it, 'cause it has been reported to be a real Screamin' Meemie. Hope you get that health problem under control. My aunt has the same problem and for an 89 yr old, she says it's really the Pitts.

Any of the better portables that have some method of locking the cutterhead or preventing snipe should serve you well. The Delta TP400/22-580, DeWalt DW745/735, Ridgid, or Makita would all be on my short list. From there I'd look for a deal.

I've owned the Delta 22-560 (now the TP400), and now have the 22-580. The two speeds of the 580 is nice on some occasions and has some advantages with tough woods, but I'm not overly impressed with the design of the dust chute or the material of the rollers, as they seem to need to be cleaned off often or the wood slips. The 560 had slightly better DC and the chute was much easier to put on and take off. It also didn't require the rollers to be cleaned as often. :huh:

Most any of the planers without head lock will work without snipe if you adjust the infeed & outfeed tables a little higher on the outboard end than it is next to the main table. My little G1017 Grizzly used to snipe until I learned this secret. The only time I have snipe is with a real long board when I don't support it properly as it comes out of the planer & that is my fault not the planers.

Last edited:
Good for you!

:thumb: That is the same one I have and so far for me it has been flawless. Note that there are upper and lower handles on the machine that will help when lifting. I use the lower ones for that final lift to the tablesaw due to my lack of height (hush Larry:p).

Tom

VERY NICE!!

If you were'nt 2,400 miles away I'd come over and help you break it in! :D

ya know ya way around Long Island, so when ya come up, let me know.
I turned it on, it sounds like I have a jet landing in my backyard.
Do I know what Im doing? Nope, not a clue.
And I know Im testing the patience of the wood pros here, so Ill do what everyone else did, learn from my mistakes.

I sold my Ryobi TS last night. Wasnt looking to make make money, just wanted it out, and got enough money to buy a nice new Freud blade for the new TS.

(a three hour nap in the middle of the day, its great to have off from work)

Last edited:
atta boy allen!!!

well now you got his new tool yu better ask anything you need answered from the folks here to get you started down the right road .. we dont want you to have any excuses of why you ain got the next batch of chairs or tables done.:D:rofl:

Congrats on the new planer, Allen. :congrats:
...a nice new Freud blade for the new TS.
Excellent choice, in my opinion. :thumb: The factory blade is a good combo blade, but I only use it for cutting questionable wood. I use my Freud blades (I have separate crosscut and rip blades)for everything else. I've very happy with them.

Well, this should be fun this morning. Just hope I dont lose too many bf of wood trying to figure out how to work this cookie monster thing correctly.

Congrats Allen. My dad has the DW735. The main focus on setup for this bad-boy seems to be the tables. The "ten-cent" method for adjustment got us to an almost no-snipe situation right off the bat. You set the outer edge of each table about a dime's height, higher than the platen. My 734 is also right around there and I have no snipe problems to speak of.

Last edited:
After adjustment of your tables knowing how much you need to take off to get to the thickness you want start running material through it bring the head down until it just starts to cut & if you planer is like mine 1 full turn of the elevation control is 1/16 so half a turn id 1/32. Because the planer is a universal motor I usually only take off 1/32 on a pass running all my boards through 1 pass or 2 until I get a nice clean full cut on the first side & then flipping them over for a pass on the other side etc till I get to the thickness I want. My raw material is usually between 13/16" & 7/8" I have even gotten a full 1" at times.

Last edited:
I wont bore anyone with my childish work, but wanted to thank the person who just told me to hook up a hose and a bag for dust collection,minus the dust collector.
Cleaned out all the junk bins and found a large assortment of junk,, and witht he drain extender cut on both sides, a couple of clamps holding down the wood cover, I put together a dust collector and it works great. Thankyou.
Made a couple of rollers to slide the shorter boards along, figured another 2 feet of support cant hurt.(I didnt have any more inch dowels to make more rollers)

Attachments

• wood stuff 300 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 300 (Medium).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 26
  • wood stuff 298 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 298 (Medium).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 38
  • wood stuff 299 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 299 (Medium).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Childish work? Looks fine to me and as long as it is collecting dust , perfect :thumb:. Just planed a pile of oak this weekend and ended up with 50 gals of dust in my DC, could'nt think of having to sweep up :doh:.

Tom

ps: HEY arn't you suppose to be at the jersey shore?

Childish work? Looks fine to me and as long as it is collecting dust , perfect :thumb:. Just planed a pile of oak this weekend and ended up with 50 gals of dust in my DC, could'nt think of having to sweep up :doh:.

Tom

ps: HEY arn't you suppose to be at the jersey shore?

got there sunday afternoon, was supposed to be there till friday, but we came home yesterday.
Im not firing on all pistons, and it just aint no fun trying to enjoy a change of scenery when I felt just as cruddy as when I left.
I stuck it out for a couple nights, cause my wife was just having such a great time, and we were in The Donalds new Chairman tower, only 300 of the 800 rooms finished, comfortable enough, I watched alot of football, did alot of walking, but couldnt get into, decided to leave a bit early. (my wife had 3 nights free in Atlantic city, and 85% of the coffee shop style food we ate was free, so it cost us next to nothing except gas and tolls. Little gambling. Got gas for 2.27)No place like home when youre under the weather a bit.

Last edited:
OOPS sorry Rennie, didnt know the local slang :rolleyes: to this michigan boy "down" is south and Jersey is "east" :rolleyes::p:rofl::rofl:

Allen plug in those spark plugs and get all cylinders firing. Get to feeling better.

Tom
No apology necessary :D

BTW, should anyone be interested, I've lived at exits 123 and 88 - worked at 15W.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And I really miss Taylor Ham, Krimpets, and buttered hard rolls from WaWa.

Last edited:
dewalt 735

I have the Delta TP-305...their cheapest one, a.k.a. The Snipemaster. It does OK, but I'd recommend getting one that's a little higher on the food chain. I've read good comments on the Delta 22-580, and there are a lot of happy DW 734 and DW735 owners out there. I think the only negative things I've seen about the DeWalts is the disposable blades don't seen to last very long for some folks. Other people have reported no problems.

if you get replacement knives from infinity tool they will last longer.

the 735

I started my day early, had to varnish up a few things, had to run over to vote before the lines become ridiculous.
Had to run over and get a hinge for that storage box, so that thing will be done, and when I got home, I realized I could barely stand on my feet.
I try to ignore Im ill, cause I hate to sound like a wimp, so I go on about my life, and it hit me like a brick wall around 11:30. I couldnt make it into the bed, like I was crawling.
Im just going to leave the planer for a couple of days. I already had cut down a piece of MDF to make the Tod Evans straight edge ripping jig, but my body decided it had enough.
Its sitting on the table. (wish I was 30 again)
the 735 is one of the best portable planers on the market when you get replacement knives go to infinity tool on line for the knives.