Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpening

Knife sharpening

I can sharpen my lathe tools. I can sharpen chisels, mower blades, axes, and such, but I cannot sharpen knives (kitchen, pocket, etc.) . Anyone have any suggestions on a knife sharpening system that I might be able to get to work?!!!

A good whetstone and proper technique has always worked for me. Hold the blade at about a 20deg angle to the stone, pull the sharp side along the stone and alternate sides.

Thing is, I quit carrying a pocket knife decades ago because I cut myself as much as anything else!
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 11-01-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Greg, I have the lansky system. Works very well for me

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/

Tom

My dad has a knife sharpener that's 2 rods at opposing angles, forming a V where they meet. Not sure where he got it or what the rods are made of but they look to have some fine diamond coating. I raid their kitchen drawer every chance I get to sharpen my pocket knife. It works great.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Thanks all! I had been considering Lansky but hadn't come across anyone who used it.

Bill, you make it sound so easy!!!! Trust me, I've tried. I grew up with my grandparents on hog farm. My grandfather kept a whetstone and scalpel in the barn for when it came "cuttin' time". A little spit and a few swipes and that thing was sharp enough to shave with. For the life of me I could never get the hang of sharping a knife. I have finally came to the realization I need help!!!!

I've been using my lansky since 1994. I use on my pocket knife all the way up to my chef knives. Been real happy with the system. If you decide to get one Greg, I feel you will not be disappointed

Tom

For Kitchen knives, I never use anything except a good round Sharpening Steel, (like the ones you see used in the butcher shops). Pocket knives.....I just use a piece of fine sandpaper (don't remember the grit, but it's nearly black) on something flat close to the edge so the knife body can hang over the edge. I never could use a "Stone" worth a flip, but all our knives will shave with the above methods.

I was raised by an old school whetstone and butcher's steel master, so the kitchen and pocket knives I grew up around were sharper than nearly any I've seen since. Because of my upbringing, my idea of sharp is pretty extreme. I've been to people's houses and had them show me their "sharp" knives,

I think I have pretty much every sharpening system there is. I started out with Arkansas oilstones, but I've had mixed success with them myself. (Lack of skill.) Until recently though, that's what I would use to restore a messed up edge on a knife. Once a knife has the proper profile, just a few swipes with a steel (diamond is my preference) and it's usually fine for me. For the past 15 years or so, I've bought good kitchen knives that already had good edges, so I've not used the stones on any of my kitchen stuff in a long time, just the steels.

A few years ago I picked up a starter Lansky kit with three stones. I've only played with it a bit, but I like the way it works. It's a great way to maintain a consistent angle. It's also compact and easy to store. If I used it much, I'd add the extra fine stone, and perhaps the polishing stone too.

Now I have a Tormek, so if I needed to fix a messed-up edge, I think that'd be what I'd use. I haven't done it yet, but I intend to try the Tormek honing wheel on some of my kitchen knives just to see how it does.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

As mentioned on another forum, I use the Razor Sharp system. Basically, two cardboard wheels mounted on an old grinder motor. One has a grit covered with hard wax for sharpening. The other wheel is charged with a white honing rouge. Works great. Other than that, I do like plain ole Arkansas stones, a little light oil and some elbow grease.

I believe this is what you are looking for: