Another box

Jim Burr

First time for a rounded lid. The insides are still a little boring but the outside finish is comming along. Those blems on the lower left of the outside pic is just wormy texture...no tear-out on this one. English walnut with Myland's.

Attachments

• Wood 065.jpg
    Wood 065.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Wood 067.jpg
    Wood 067.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 48
Nice job, Jim. I really like the domed top and the finish looks great. I agree with your assessment of the inside vs. the outside, but we all get a bit better with each piece we make. (Even some of the pieces that don't survive the ride make us better, assuming we live.) :p

Thank's guys...work is underway on a new one, but...
What can you do to spiff up the inside? My gouge skills aren't up to snuff on the inside of these and I was thinking some kind of liner? Wasn't there a post about velvet dust/lint/powder something that could be used for a liner?
Next year I'm off to Utah for a Craft Suppy 5-day in turning. 'til then :eek:

Jim, I wouldn't go looking for a liner, just use these boxes to build your skills, and practice your sanding skills.

I use a round side cutting scraper, box scraper, or radiused bowl scraper with good results.

104058-img.jpg
round side cutting scraper

108784-img.jpg
box scraper

sbyhdradiusgroup-img.jpg
radiused bowl scraper

Very nice box Jim. I have had great results with a cheap Harbor Freight scraper that I re ground into a shape similar to the first picture Frank posted.