Minor boo for Rockler, huray for me

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I have a Rockler Sure-Loc miter gauge that I bought several years ago. At that time they were sold with an oak fence. Over the years that hunk of oak has taken a beating, and it warped a little. I looked in the Rockler catalog and noticed that the new version is sold with an aluminum fence! Great - all I need to do is upgrade the fence!

Nope.:(

Rockler will not sell the fence separately. Bummer. I sent them an email stating that I thought that this was shortsighted of them, not offering an upgrade path. Especially since the Incra is available on Amazon for $5 less than the new Sure-Loc.

I was not quite ready to drop over $100 on a new fence just yet, so I grabed up a few things that I had around the shop and made a new fence. Cost - $0. What a way to go.

Here's a shot of the new fence followed by a shot of the retired oak fence.
DSC_2993.jpg DSC_2994.jpg DSC_2995.jpg

Great idea. It's funny, I asked Rockler about a piece of that extrusion about a year ago, no dice. I contacted Incra direct and bought what I needed for about $40 IIRC. You cost is even better ;-)

I'll bet you will get a lot of service out of that very nice Phenolic fence Rennie. Nice job!
Thanks Frank!:)

Now that is downright snazzy! I like it :D
It is a pretty green.:rofl:

Great idea. It's funny, I asked Rockler about a piece of that extrusion about a year ago, no dice. I contacted Incra direct and bought what I needed for about $40 IIRC. You cost is even better ;-)
I think they need to re-think their position.:huh:

Nice job Rennie. You didn't need Rockler after all, did you? :thumb: And I bet your version is better anyway. Jim.
Could be, but theirs has more T-tracks.:rofl:

Wow Rennie, that's just ding-dangeddy peachy!
Mark, your helping me develop my expanded vocabulary.:rofl:

Nice job. Its a great reward when you can fix it yourself.
I think that's the best part!:thumb:

maybe rockler should hire you to cut some fences for them for the upgrade
:thumb:
Could be I'll need a job in a few months!:eek::rolleyes:

The only problem so far is that the phenolic is quite slick. So, I think I'll be adding some PSA sandpaper to the face today.

My pleasure Rennie.
I bought four sheets of 2'x4' "G" or "N" grade (glass or linen) 3/4" thick Phenolic for a very good price on eBay some time ago. I really should put it to use.