Another day on the Davis-Wells Bandsaw project

Dan Mosley

Today i was hoping for a day totally free from any disturbances but it never goes that way..........but i did get in 1/2 day and worked on disassembliing the bed on the bandsaw and the tilt arms (or whatever you call them..lol). Originally the bed was totally frozen and would not move at all. I unbolted the bed and moved it to the work bench and degreesed and sanded it down. Next i took apart the tilt arms and unbloted it from the body of the bandsaw. they were so rusted and filled with old dried greese etc that i would have had to used a scrapper or some sorts to loosen the crap up.
What i decided to do instead was i put Acetone in a 2gal bucket and soaked the parts for several hours in it. Took them out and the stuff easily came off, then soap and water cleaning, then sanding, then for the heck of it put them to soak in DNA for 1 hr.
Ok the painted early that day and reassembled it and greesed up the tracks on the tilt assembly.
What a pain in the butt this was but the fantastic thing is this bed as heavy at it is (and it really is heavy) glides up and down so smoothly i was impressed myself......LOL........pictures attached and the lower side by the motor is not fiinished and painted.................

Now next step is to clean up the table top while i wait on the parts that are being machined and repaired......

P.S.---To all of you that have helped me with this project and continue to give me advice.....Thank You so much this really has been fun

Dan

Attachments

• Finished motor area (450 x 600).jpg
    Finished motor area (450 x 600).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Full tilt table (450 x 600).jpg
    Full tilt table (450 x 600).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 108
  • underneath finished (600 x 450).jpg
    underneath finished (600 x 450).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Next time try this stuff instead of grease.

204589865.jpg

Slick as a minnow and it doesn't grab all the saw dust.

Boy, this thread has really slipped. :rolleyes: :p I use paraffin wax on the tool rests for my lathe. It's slicker than...well...something real slick. :D

Dan, the saw is looking better and better. :thumb: I think the part you're referring to as the tilt arms is called the trunnion. Keep up the good work, and keep up the progress pics.

That saw is coming along. Thanks for the update. have you had the upper wheel mount / tensioning / tilt adjustment apart and cleaned up yet? After you get that under wraps, the rest is cosmetic.
Again, nice saw. It puts the little green one in the background firmly in its place.
Keep having fun with it.
paulh

Dan, because I'm lazy, I didn't read through all the threads on your Davis-Wells bandsaw. So maybe what I write here is repeated.

I just moved from Los Angeles. The original Davis Wells Machinery company is still located is South Los Angeles on either Alameda or Long Beach Blvd. They are listed in the phone directory under the Hollywood prefix of (323) under their name.

One guy shows up there, and spends most of his time refurbishing old equipment. The the point of sandblasting the frames. Has loads of used Davis & Wells machines. His restored projects were absolutely gorgeous. And a healthy inventory of new and used parts. He's not around much, and I wonder about his enthusiasm for carrying the torch. I had to call about 6 or 8 times and leave messages before he answered the phone. Just to arrange a visit. This was in 2006.

It is definitely a line of industrial-grade products.

Good luck,

Gary Curtis
Northern California:)