Butler's table

The picture might not be up to your liking, but the table is great! Well done! How tough was it to mortise in those hinges? Did you use a special jig? Home made?

Great job, Charlie. Real pretty wood, and the craftsmanship shows.

I can't tell from the picture...it is round or elliptical?

Charlie, that is one nice table, I'd love to see some more pics of it.

It does not look to have wheels, so is it meant to be picked up and carried by the hand holes?

Very interesting, first time I've seen such a thing.

Cheers!

Charlie, had never seen anything like that. Beautiful work! Like someone already asked, the handles turn for easier carrying, one person supposed to carry that? Is is for a person in bed to eat from or how long are the legs?

The top is a tray and just lifts off the base/legs (the underside of the top has a couple of rails to locate it on the base).

The sides and ends of the top fold up for carrying (and to prevent stuff from sliding off whilst carrying). The hinges are special in that they lock in the 90 degree position.

The legs are 16" long- we're going to use it sort of like a coffee table.

that is one fine job on the hinges there charlie,, i have tried radius hinges by hand and mine didnt work so well.. i wouldlike to see how you went about that.. as well as some more pics.. what kind of shellac did you use the color looks real warm and toasty.:thumb::D

Here's a couple more photos. As for the hinge, well, I have a carving gouge that matched the radius of the hinge pretty well and that helped a good amount. And I used a marking knife to transfer the pattern.

The shellac was Zinsser Bullseye. I used a couple coats of sealer and then a couple coats of the shellac (~3 lb cut). Then I did some french polishing on it and that really made it look good.

Attachments

• DSC00087.JPG
    DSC00087.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00088.JPG
    DSC00088.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 20