weekend score

Paul Hubbman

OK, this one might tempt several of you to break a certain language rule on this forum.
I stopped by our local Restore on saturday morning. Before walking in (i actually never quite made it through the door) i saw a guy with a van trying to unload a refrigerator he was donating. I ran over and helped him get it out of the van and looked in to see if there were any other big items he might want help with. A quick glance in the van showed nothing else big, but a couple of tools he was dropping off. What caught my eye was a Delta benchtop mortiser. I asked if he was donating all the stuff in the van - Yep.
He'd bought a foreclosed house that he needed to empty out that morning, threw the stuff in the van, and drove it over to donate it.
He offered it to me for $50. I only had $40, but that was good enough.
It's complete and in good condition with the allen wrench, chuck key, and 3 chisel bits (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2"). It's not exactly "old iron", but it's not new either - the manual that came with it has January 7, 1998 written by hand on the inside cover.
I took it home, cleaned it up a bit, adjusted the gibs on the dovetail ways, sharpened the chisels, and started making mortises.
I've been using the mortising kit on my drill press for the built-in cabinetry i've been building. That works fine, but i can see already that this will be much easier to use and adjust. I'll also be glad to get my drill press back.
To you photo police, you'll just have to take my word on this - digital camera is on the blink.
Paul Hubbman

You Rock Paul! Nice score. I have this exact machine and I'm happy with it. It lacks some of the newer gadgets that can move the stock for you, but it's a strong and sevicable machine.

"i saw a guy with a van trying to unload a refrigerator he was donating. I ran over and helped him get it out of the van "

Paul in my mind I dont see the need to break the language code. I would say you committed a RAK (Random act of kindness) and were rewarded for doing so. Same as he was rewarded for his donation intent by you helping him to offload the unit. I will bet anything that you did not go over to help him with the intent on gain did you?

Well done. Maybe we should have a RAK forum where people get to list their RAK of the day. More of this would surely make the world a happier place to live in. Good for you and enjoy the mortiser. What a bonus.:thumb:

I agree Rob, it's great to see people that still care and offer a helping hand. Paul congrats on being one on the helping hand/caring people :thumb:
Congrats on the mortiser also.

Tom

congrats paul

you done both of you a favor:) your batting a 1000 this year got a good deal on your planer and now your mortiser, so what you lookin for now???/

Not looking for any more machines or tools right now - the plan is to keep my needs modest at least until the sun rises on the economy again. I think the only things i'll be spending cash on will be supplies to wrap up the dozen or so incomplete projects around the house.
I grab used lumber when i can - building demolition sites are good opportunities. The other good free source is the occassional windstorm that strikes our local park. I can saw and air dry small logs.
The only other thing i think i would use a lot would be a benchtop ossilating spindle sander. It's definitely NOT a need, and i can live happily without one.

I already have more tool and machine capacity that i have need - mostly because i usually don't get a lot of shop time. I could live without several of the tools in my basement, but some of them help me get through some tasks quickly (like sanding) so that i can spend more time on the things i really like doing (like designing pieces, hand planing, etc.).

Lately, between the casework i'm building for the dining room and the gifts me and my kids will be making for the holidays, i'll be making a lot of dust for the next couple of months. I sure do appreciate the opportunity.

I think i'll put the "new" mortiser to work pretty quickly - a few small pieces of furniture, and maybe some picture frames.

Paul Hubbman

Almost missed this thread, or at least I missed it for an entire week somehow...must have been all that typing on the off-topic forum regarding sheep, cows and organic farming Robert Mickley and I got into. :)

Anyway so much for nice guys always finish last huh? I think you will like the mortising machine...its always been on my list of got-to-have's someday too. I am actually surprised you said so many nice things about your drill press mortising attachment, I got one, BUT like you said it ties up the drill press. I had some frustration issues with it too, but maybe now with a bit of age on me, I can be more patient on the set-up and make it work. :dunno: If anything good came out of the mortise attachment for the drill press its this; I have learned to enjoy making mortise and tenons by hand.

Still for 40 bucks and a helping hand with the refrigerator, I assume you don't mind giving up the chisel for a machine? (Assuming the chiropractor visit was covered by health insurance anyway :) )

Travis,

I do like making mortises by hand, but had the drill press set up because i've got a pile of repetitive joints to make, and it's been a huge time saver. The machine made joints are all but foolproof, tight and snug - seemingly perfect for someone with limited skills/experience like me. That said, i still prefer making them by hand - i haven't been drawn over to the dark side, just seduced by its convenience for mass production.

As for the mortising attachment for the drill press, at first it was a huge frustration. I spent a fair amount of time tuning it up, with some help from my dad. It also helps that i've got a good fence on my drill press table. The one that came with the mortising set could use a little attention to shim it square. Now that the set up is working well, i really don't need it any more.

And, how did you know i'm great friends with my chiropractor? I've been a very good customer these past few months. It was breaking up and hauling out the old boiler that put me over the edge. Got to say, though, that the new one is quieter than the old and seems to heat the house up a bit quicker too. There's a bit of good karma in it also - the radiator in the dining room is short (about 16" high), wide (about 18" deep), and long (over 7' long) - it's great to stretch out and lay on top of on those cold mornings. Nice for a sore back too.

paulh

Oh yes...Chiropractors and Massage Therapists...you have to love them. Of course I forgot you were ripping out your old boiler too. That would tend to put a strain on your ol back too. Bet you like the heat from the new one though. Btu's may be BTU's but when you know those BTU's are 20% more efficient BTU's suddenly get a sweet smell to them.

Of course I don't blame a person for getting a motorized MT machine. I just happen to like cutting them by hand. But perhaps that came about because my Drill Press MT attachment was rather cheap in cost and construction. Personally I think there was another element to it as well. When I first got it, some 10 years ago, I was more eager to get the through the individual tasks to get the project done than just enjoying the moment of woodworking. In other words, I would tend to rush set-ups in the attempt to get the MT out of the way. Now, because shop time is extremely rare, I see shop time as just enjoyable shop time, no matter what I am doing. And yes set-up can be fun.

Perhaps its time to knock the dust off the old MT attachment and see what it can do with a bit of adjustment and attention to detail?