Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new user from Cary, IL

new user from Cary, IL

Hi All,
    just wanted to say hello.

I'm following in my father's footsteps, and have been improving my woodworking pretty much since I was born. However, I've been very serious for the last few years.

My dad was the master cabinetmaker for Fanny May & Fanny Farmer Candies until they closed their shop and outsourced everything to Canada a few years back. He unfortunately passed away in May of 2005, before he was able to pass a lot of his detailed knowledge on to me. I luckily inherited some of my skills from him and being in the shop since before I can remember.

I just finished building a home-built CNC router, and have been getting deeper into finishing.

I'm always envious of how all you masters make pieces that just look amazing, and I hope to pick up as much knowledge as I can from anybody willing to share.

Here's a link to my gallery with pics of my shop and a special project I've been working on lately for my dogs, along with other interesting stuff.

ABQ NM
    From one orange saw owner to another...welcome aboard.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Jason!

I built the JGro myself a couple years back. This winter's project will be building a 3' X 5' using some used linear rails/bearings I've collected from friends and ebay and will be from steel and aluminum. Would like to build a larger one, but just don't have the space.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

hi jason!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Delton, Michigan
    welcome jason
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I hope to learn a lot from all the experts here!

yup! I'm an orange saw owner .. been quite happy with it actually. same thing with my Jointer.

Ridgid is IMHO underrated, probably because Home Depot sells it

I wanted to get into routing letters and making signs so I figured I'd build a JGro, get some experience with CNC routing and then possibly build a Joe2006... in the time that I started the JGro to now, Joe came out with the 4x4 model which is what I'll probably build next when I save up what few pennies my wife give me for allowance at the end of each month

Inside the Beltway
    Hey, Jason,

Welcome to the nuthouse. Glad to see you're carrying through on the tradition.

Cool stuff in that shop. But you gotta watch these guys! They love shop pics! And they won't stop there! They'll go browsing through your links and find pictures of your Bachelor party!

(Admit it, folks: it's takes courage to link to pics of one's own Bachelor party!

And that honeymoon! Papeete? Wow! I am suitably impressed!

See, I told you we're crazy...

Rio Rancho, NM
    Jason, welcome to the Family - we're not such a bad bunch around here!!
    Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Tokyo Japan
    Hi Jason, welcome to the Family!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Northwest Missouri
    Welcome, Jason. That is some machine. Your dogs should feel real special!!
    Roger from Missouri

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you always got!