new user from Cary, IL

Jason Vanick

Hi All,
just wanted to say hello.

I'm following in my father's footsteps, and have been improving my woodworking pretty much since I was born. However, I've been very serious for the last few years.

My dad was the master cabinetmaker for Fanny May & Fanny Farmer Candies until they closed their shop and outsourced everything to Canada a few years back. He unfortunately passed away in May of 2005, before he was able to pass a lot of his detailed knowledge on to me. I luckily inherited some of my skills from him and being in the shop since before I can remember.

I just finished building a home-built CNC router, and have been getting deeper into finishing.

I'm always envious of how all you masters make pieces that just look amazing, and I hope to pick up as much knowledge as I can from anybody willing to share.

Here's a link to my gallery with pics of my shop and a special project I've been working on lately for my dogs, along with other interesting stuff.

http://www.whataride.net/gallery/main.php/v/WoodShop

-J

Welcome to the family Jason! :wave:

I built the JGro myself a couple years back. This winter's project will be building a 3' X 5' using some used linear rails/bearings I've collected from friends and ebay and will be from steel and aluminum. Would like to build a larger one, but just don't have the space.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I hope to learn a lot from all the experts here!

yup! I'm an orange saw owner ;) .. been quite happy with it actually. same thing with my Jointer.

Ridgid is IMHO underrated, probably because Home Depot sells it ;)

I wanted to get into routing letters and making signs so I figured I'd build a JGro, get some experience with CNC routing and then possibly build a Joe2006... in the time that I started the JGro to now, Joe came out with the 4x4 model which is what I'll probably build next when I save up what few pennies my wife give me for allowance at the end of each month :)

-J

Hey, Jason,

Welcome to the nuthouse. Glad to see you're carrying through on the tradition.

Cool stuff in that shop. But you gotta watch these guys! They love shop pics! And they won't stop there! They'll go browsing through your links and find pictures of your Bachelor party!

(Admit it, folks: it's takes courage to link to pics of one's own Bachelor party! ;)

And that honeymoon! Papeete? Wow! I am suitably impressed! ;)

See, I told you we're crazy... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome Jason great website you have there. Thanks for all the pics on the CNC. Have you ever thought of putting a little tutorial together on how to make one. You already have all the pictures all that is needed is some info on purchasing and the electronics. I for one would love to have a go at a CNC. Looks like a fascinating experience. Just dont know where to start on choice of servos and drivers and then of course which software.

Welcome Jason great website you have there. Thanks for all the pics on the CNC. Have you ever thought of putting a little tutorial together on how to make one. You already have all the pictures all that is needed is some info on purchasing and the electronics. I for one would love to have a go at a CNC. Looks like a fascinating experience. Just dont know where to start on choice of servos and drivers and then of course which software.

my cnc was based on the JGro design that you can find over at cnczone.com

I used stepper motors and a driver card from hobbycnc.com and the software i'm using is the linux-cnc package called EMC...

for controlling it, I ended up breaking down and buying a package called VCarve Pro from Vectric software, for me, it has been the easiest, least frustrating way to cut parts and do carving with it... The results speak for themselves when it comes to using that application.

I'm a computer engineer (networking, linux, ip telephony) with a background in electronics and telecom, so building the electronics and using the control apps are second nature to me.

the guys over at cnczone.com are a great bunch and there's a LOT of info out there on how to build one and get up and running

-J