A few of my latest pens

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
I was somewhat apprehensive to post some of my latest pens on this forum since I hadn't seen too many shown. But a search revealed there are some pen turners here, so here goes:

View attachment 25300

Cigar Pen in Cocobolo

View attachment 25301

El Grande Pen in Wavy Sassafras

View attachment 25303
View attachment 25304

This style of pen, a Button Click Sierra is my favourite style. Both are shown in acrylics.

View attachment 25305
View attachment 25306

These 2 are Ligero Rollerballs. One is done in Australian Lacewood, the other in Australian Silky Oak.

All pens (other than the acrylics) are finished with 5 or 6 coats of thin CA applied with a Q-tip, and allowed to dry prior to being mm'd at 1500 between coats. Part way through the 5/6 coats I would micro mesh at 4000. After the final coat of thin CA, they were all mm'd to 12,000. A final rubbing with a paste product call FLITZ (smells something like BRASSO, and your are looking at the finished product.

VERY nice job Mack. I have a hard time just using a Q-tip to clean my ears much less putting on a nice finish like you have done. Looks great.

Mark

Mac, those are all winners!

Please do not EVER hesitate to post pics of Pens, I think that everyone enjoys them!

I'm torn as to which is my favorite one, the first one, the Cocobolo is really nice, but I'm also liking the blue Wavy Sassafras, and I don't usually like acrylics, but that one is really nice :thumb:

Nice pens Mack. I think the rollerballs are my favorite.
I have several of the click sierra kits but have yet to turn one. Next time I get on a pen kick I think I will put them at the top of the list.

Mack, don't you just love cocobolo?? It always makes a pen kit look good!!
Have you used this click pen for long? The one I got from HUT felt cheap and was rough in its workings. If they are of good quality, I appreciate you showing them as I have calls for click pens but didn't like the workings of the other choice. Good looking pens Mack!

Mack, don't you just love cocobolo?? It always makes a pen kit look good!!
Hi Jonathon; This is one of the nicest pieces of Cocobolo I have seen. I traded or purchased from a pen turner in HI for it. I have 5 more pieces and looking for some top end pens to turn with it.
Have you used this click pen for long? The one I got from HUT felt cheap and was rough in its workings. If they are of good quality, I appreciate you showing them as I have calls for click pens but didn't like the workings of the other choice.
I get my clicks from a Canadian supplier (Geez, I just thought that sounds like the words to a song)http://www.penblanks.ca/index.php
I have a total of 13 in my inventory at present and have never received one I thought or felt was cheap.

Love the pens! Don't be shy about posting them.

I think you'll find this group appreciative of all forms of woodworking...

Great job!

Nice Pens !

Seriously beautiful pens Mack ! I've never been able to get them to come out as nice as I wanted so I appreciate pen turners who do such a great job.:thumb: Might have to try the CA/MM finish some day.

Great pens Mack.

I like the one made of Lacewood. The choices you have made for the design colors that go with the wood are excellent. This inspires me to try my hand at pens. I have yet to turn one.
Will soon.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Pens are always great Mack. I do 4-5 every week and then they're gone :huh:. Wife's teachers, daughters swim team, son's girlfriend...who knows where they go. But that's whats great about pens!!! Cocobolo is my keeper. Keep the pics comming :clap: