Sanding Disks

Ken Easley

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a larger quantity (at least for me) of sanding disks. I've been using the wavy edge, 2" and 3" and of course I'm looking for the best deal. So, three questions: 1. do you think the wavy edge makes enough difference to pay a couple pennies more per disk, 2. Do you have a good resource for the type of disk you really like, and 3. What is the type you really like.

I've checked Craft Supplies, Klingspor, Packard, and found some (but not the wavy ones) at Turningwood.com. Any other places to check out?

Ken

I've seen a lot of people endorse Turningwood.com and the best paper at the best price. Like you, I use the wave disks (with the wave backing pad, too) so I tend to get my disks at Craft Supplies or Packard -- whichever one I happen to be ordering from.

I've always been a big fan of Craft Suppy inc...who happens to have a sale on now according to my e-mail, but I've never really tried anyone else.

I've tried lots of sanding products and by far the best I've found so far is from Industrial Products Co. Here is the web site:
https://commerce.riverweb.com:8003/shop.html
I bought the big sheets of the fuzzy backed stuff to use with the velcro-type of holder for a drill and cut my own. I cut it into squares so the end result is similar to the wavy cut you buy. The stuff wears like iron and cuts way longer than any I've tried before.
fwiw, Tom
edit: I guess they are called 'hook and loop' 'rhino grip' The web site seems to take a long time to load....

Last edited:
You can easily make your own sanding pads.

I buy from Klingspor at www.woodworkingshop.com the scalloped disks I get from them last a LOT longer than the "Wave" disks I've gotten elsewhere.

The >> 50 Pack << of the 2" scalloped disks are $13.95 I think that is a good price, at about 28 cents each. The non-scalloped >> 50 Pack << is $10.95 each, or about 22 cents each.

Klingspor have been VERY good to deal with as well, and their >> #20 lathe Bargain Box of End Rolls << looks like a deal as well, but the 20 pounds makes it expensive, for me, to have shipped. :doh:

The sanding disks that have worked the best for me are from Steve Worcester at http://www.turningwood.com/ They last longer than anything that I have tried and I have never had the hook and loop material seperate and I have been quite forceful at times. The mandrels he sells are also A1 in my book.

Hey Bill, thanks for the lead, I did not know that Steve was selling sanding disks, I'll make sure I order from him next time I run out.

Cheers!:thumb: