A bowl from a board

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
I have a friend who is a meticulous wood worker as well as a wood turner.

I sent him this board that measured 5¾" sq. X ¾" th.

Macksboard.jpg

This is what he sent me in return. The bowl measures 5¾" in dia. and is 3" in height. Amazing in my estimation!

MackCBowl01.jpg

"Inconceivable!"
"I do not think that word means what you think it means"

But Seriously, That's cool.

Beautiful work and expertly executed, but it's making my brain hurt to think about how it was done...

I did find one tutorial on the web where they basically cut the board in half, and then cut concentric half rings at an angle through both halves, then glue them into rings on top of each other.

Very cool concept....

I did find one tutorial on the web where they basically cut the board in half, and then cut concentric half rings at an angle through both halves, then glue them into rings on top of each other.

Very cool concept....
Hi Brent & Bill; I think he used to do it that way.

As I understand his procedure now: with a very thin small parting tool, he parts off rings at approx. 45º, then glues them on top of each other. Hence a bowl from a board.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=22739&highlight=bowl+board

He describes here how he got to where he is now. Simply amazing!

If you examine th bowl very closely your will see the various tiers in it.

A friend has a Ringmaster and makes bowls from scrap boards. Takes very little time and he doesn't spend much effort finishing. They sell for $10-$20 each and he sells many. He won't join the woodturning club because he believes the members will deride him for not doing "real" turning.