Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killed Another Sander

Killed Another Sander

I'm having a devil of a time with sanders lately. A couple weekends ago, my 6" Ridgid (post-Metabo, Chinese made) ROS died in the middle of sanding a cutting board. I'd had this sander for maybe 6 months...long enough that I couldn't return it under the 90-day return policy. Since I was working under a time crunch and didn't have time to deal with sending it off the the factory for warranty service (it's got a 3-year warranty), I went to Depot de Casa (where the announcements are in Spanish) and picked up another one of the same sanders. I liked the sander and the way it worked. I figured the untimely death was a fluke.

Fast forward to this evening, and the new sander died in pretty much the same way -- midway through a sanding job. Bad words were said. Although this one will be going back to the Borg for an exchange tomorrow (since again, I need to replace it in a hurry), I'm starting to look at my other options for a 6" ROS.

I like the 6" ROS for fast stock removal; I have a little Ryobi 5" ROS that works like a champ for the finer stuff. A dust collection port that can be adapted to a shop vac hose is key. My first choice for a new 6" would be the Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ dual-mode, but it's simply out of my price range. Next up is the Festool ETS 150/5 EQ with the 5 mm stroke. It's pushing the envelope budget-wise, but I get the impression from what I've read about the Festool sanders that I'd love it. Farther down the list, and about $100 easier on my wallet is the Metabo 6" ROS. I've heard good things about this one, but not a lot of folks seem to be using it. Now of course, the earlier Ridgid 6" ROS was a rebranded Metabo, but the only ones I've found at the stores are the newer Chinese-made clones. (Which, if you've been paying attention, have a thing about dying when you need them most.) (The HD website is running a close-out sale on them right now, and although the pic on their website shows the Metabo version, I suspect they're shipping the Chinese version.)

Any suggestions? Should I just call Uncle Bob and get it over with? (I'd have to wait a bit for my wallet to recover from Christmas before I could make that call. Santa's already bringing me some cool stuff for my lathe, and I had to help him out a bit with the money.) I figure I'll be getting a full refund for one of my Ridgids, and getting the other one repaired, but I won't ever rely on the remaining one to do a job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Don't get the green Bosch, I have one, and it is dying a slow death, I too need to pony up for a new one, and my choice will be Festool, if I can swing it as well.

I have had some luck with Makita, and some guys swear by the PC ROS, but we don't get them over here.

If all else fails, you could get one fo these...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round-sanding-block-lg.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	2279
    Only $13 and think of how much your grip would improve with that work out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sand_block.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	2280

Then there is the old standby, easy on the wallet for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That's bad news about the Ridgid switch away from Metabo for their 6 inch sander. Just last week, I recommneded the Ridgid sander to a friend who did not want to fork out the money for the Festool Rotex. Now, I will have to get in touch with him and warn him about your experience Vaughn.
    Cheers, Frank

You're on your own for this one, Vaughn!

Vaughn I have one for free .

I have my old 5" Dewalt. That you can have for free if you interested. Tried to sell it a while back when I bought my Festool sanders. Let me know.

Russ
    There is unrest in the forest,There is trouble with the trees
    For the maples want more sunlight,And the oaks ignore their plea's. N.Peart

I just tossed my P-C ROS (5" model 333). It had this irritating habit of ejecting the plastic dust cannister from time to time in the middle of sanding sessions. Last weekend I was sanding the new oak stair treads I had just installed, and guess what? Yep, it blasted out that cannister (nearly full), creating a huge dust cloud that settled onto every surface in my house. My LOML was not amused. Neither was I after we both spent a couple hours cleaning everything in sight.

I realize that ROS's, by their very nature, do not collect dust well on their own. Can anyone recommend a good one (under $100) that adapts well to a shop vacuum? Either 5" or 6" - it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Cheers,

Kevin

Should I just call Uncle Bob and get it over with?

Yes you should you'll never regret it

Jay

Kevin, I've had good luck using a shop vac with the PC ROS. Sears had a reducer that allowed a hook up to the PC and the normal vac hose.

Vaughn, with all those nice cutting boards you're selling you should be ready to pony up for a Festool. To quote (or mis-quote) someone's sig. line "Buy quality, cry once, buy poor quality, cry all the time."

My Bosch has served me well. Hooked to the shop vac and very pleased with it so far. 4 or 5 years old now.

Jeff
    Off the hardware store trying to finish that last gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brady View Post

I realize that ROS's, by their very nature, do not collect dust well on their own. Can anyone recommend a good one (under $100) that adapts well to a shop vacuum? Either 5" or 6" - it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Cheers,

Kevin
    kevin, i`m afraid for a "good" electric sander that has dust collection that actually works festool is the only answer........if air will work for you there are more options......dynabrade, dotco ect......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]