Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: losing my mind

losing my mind

you may or may not know that I am building a house right now. i actually started a thread on it but have been far to busy to take pics and keep it updated. my small camera bit the dust and i can't carry my big one around everywhere. anyway, i have been working some pretty long hours practically everyday trying to get things done and move in before Christmas. last night i noticed one of the effects of these long hours.

so i am cutting plywood for adjustable shelves in the closets for the house. now i need to cut some hardwood edgebanding, so i reach for my wrenches to change the blade to a rip blade. loosen the nut, remove it, remove the big washer (can't think of what it's called right now), remove the blade....

that is when the fun begins....instead of reaching for the rip blade, i grab the washer and put it back on the arbor, with no blade there mind you, so i realize my mistake and take it off, then i grab the nut and put it on, still no blade. i had to stop and laugh at myself. that was one of my recent mistakes i could laugh at.....there were some that didn't get any chuckles whatsoever.

i feel like i am losing it. at least it made me laugh

chris

Chris, I am glad you didn't lose any fingers!!! That is your mind telling you it is time to take a break. Going home early will result in a lot less loss of time than cutting some fingers off!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Johnathan is correct. 2 years or 20 years experience, when your mind drifts away from what youre doing around machines with blades,(any heavy machinery) its time to take a break.

Amen to what Jonathan said! I've had similar laughs at myself and learned to walk away for a while and regain what little sanity I have left!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Yeah, I hear busy, man, I hope you get it done, but be careful eh

You know, I get like that sometimes, and a break, is certainly a good thing, even just walking outside and doing something else for 5 minutes can make a big deal.

Good that you can laugh at some things, you NEED your sense of humor
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

thanks for the reminder. but let me assure everyone of one thing. no matter how far my mind wanders, i am always very very carefuly around my machines. this really wasn't a case of daydreamin or not payin attention, it was more of just getting ahead of myself and being in a routine when i change blades. because i do it so much. usually the next blade is right there in hands reach, this time it happened to not be. anyway, don't worry guys i am very safe.

nuther funny story, two nights ago, during a blade change i happened to check my watch before I started, the time was 9:11pm......needless to say i stopped and thought about it for a second. I was a little extra careful during that blade change...

Yeah but you said nothing about unplugging it before starting to change the blade!
    Didn't mean to come down on you or sound like a know it all, for the mistakes I have made, should own stock in a bandage company!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

i guess that poses a question on my part.

has anyone here every heard of or had a machine such as a table saw turn on when they didn't want it to.

i am not trying to be sarcastic here, i am actually curious, because to me, what is the point of unpluggin it if i ain't gonna push the start button? is it somehow possible for the saw to start on it's own, power surge? stored energy?

i repeat i am not trying to be sarcastic, i just figure since that rule of thumb is so dominant in the woodworking world, it must have happened to someone, somewhere??????

curiously,
    chris

Chris, I will flip the breaker before I stick my hand into a garbage disposal to retrieve a spoon or such...same thinking...makes me feel more at ease.

Hope you hard work is over soon. I'm sure the benefits will be had in due time. Please do take some pics when you get a chance.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Having had 50+ stiches and a bone graft in my left hand as a result of a table saw accident...trust me when I tell you, take a break.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots