Old Tools and some unknown tools

Dan Mosley

I have a few tools that are old that i got from the junk stores from $1.00 to $15.00. Guess they either looked interesting or just couldnt pass up a bargin.
Thought i would post the pictures because im not sure what some of them are or what they were used for. Hopefully some of you will know what they are and what they were used for.

1 - some type of measuring device for wind or air movement - I think not sure and not sure even if its related to woodworking but
what the heck
2 - hand sharpener for tool blades i think
3 - Large wood mallet - possibly for woodworking.........4&5 - kerosine torches - possibly for old time plumbing.........

Thoughts anyone ??
thanks Dan

Attachments

• Air Tool (600 x 450).jpg
    Air Tool (600 x 450).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 62
  • knife sharpener (600 x 450).jpg
    knife sharpener (600 x 450).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Mallet (600 x 450).jpg
    Mallet (600 x 450).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 50
  • small torch 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    small torch 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 52
  • large torch (600 x 450).jpg
    large torch (600 x 450).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The mallet and the steel, for sharpening knives, looks like, are serviceable, the blow torches are nice to look at on a shelf, I'd not use one :eek:

That one you called a "mallet" looks more like something used in the kitchen, (maybe part of a butter mold, or meat flattening/tenderizing, etc. The "Steel" is what I use to sharpen my kitchen knives, and last, the #1........well now, you hold that in front of your best Fishing Buddy's mouth when he's tellin' you about his "Latest Catch" to see just how much "Hot Air" he's Blowin'.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gosh, the old blow torch brings back some old memories as a kid in Tacoma. Dad would use one to thaw our frozen pipes and even copper oil lines from the storage tank to the oil heater in the house! He showed me what happens if you tried to thaw pipes too close to the house as the flames would get sucked inside a could catch fire.:eek: That is if he could get it started on those cold days:D Very temperamental.:huh:

Nice shelf tools! Remember guys, we don't sharpen knives with a knife steel, we use it after sharpening to straighten and clean the edge.

http://video.about.com/housewares/How-to-Use-a-Knife-Steel.htm

Well, I have to respectfully BUT POSITIVELY disagree with the statement that a Steel Does NOT sharpen a blade. There are different cutting grades of "Steels", like different grits of sandpaper, some are fine enough that just hone a blade while others are more aggressive and will take a blade with a flat or rounded edge and when used properly, will bring it to a sharp edge just like a stone will and make it ready for the finer Hone type Steel. I learned how to use the Steels from an old butcher when I worked in the meat market at a grocery when I was about 12 yrs old, and have used this method for nearly 60 years without using any stones. I have to perform this act on a Drawer Full of knives two or three times a year when I visit my Daughters, as I think they have a gremlin living there that doesn't like sharp blades, (or maybe they just want to watch Ole Dad do his tricks).:D Now if I could just get them to QUIT throwing all those knives into a Drawer...........:bang::bang::bang::D

Oh well, It's nice to be needed.:thumb:

I, of course, am speaking at the sub-atomic level. Sorry not to have mentioned that.

Watanabe13.jpg

Sharpened Knife Edge 200X

WatanabeStropped25.jpg

Same Knife Edge after a few passes across a leather wheel charged with chromium oxide. 200X

The first picture appears to be a wind annometer. I would venture a guess that at least one of the smaller dials record maximum gusts.
Don