Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flag Case - Need some advice

Flag Case - Need some advice

Hello all! I finally finished the flag case I started a while back. This is for my MIL's husband who passed away earlier this year.

Here's a pic, but my MIL was also given the casings from the 21 gun salute. I would like to arrange them in the case, but am having trouble figuring out how. I also need to know if there is any significance in how the casings are arranged. Let me know what you think. I still need to leave some room for several ribbons. BTW, he served in the Army in the late 50's.

Thanks!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway

Is drilling through the back of the case and tapping a small hole in the casings an option?(small screw in from back to hold them in place)

If you want the casings to stand vertically, 21 holes in a mounting board would do....maybe even angled holes so they lean would be cool. If you want to lay them horizontally, I think I'd tried appropriately sized slots from a core box/round nose router bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31CmA0RvTPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	25370
    Got Wood?

What about arranging them like this. Just a thought

|
    ||
    |||
    ||||
    |||||
    ||||||

You could spread them out enough to take up that entire red half of the triangle if you wanted. At least you will be able to lay them in there (what ever you do) and see how they look before you set it in stone.
    Rise above the rest

Nice box!.

As for holding the shells, you could also use thin brass wire put in a loop around the groove of the back end of the shell give it a couple of turns and then pass both ends through a small hole in the back of the frame.

The wire would be almost invisible, and the little hole would be hidden by the shell itself. The the positioning of the shells could be anyone you wanted without much hassle.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thanks everyone! The shadow box portion is filled with about 2" of foam covered with red felt. I think I may pull that back out and insert a block of cherry drilled to fit the casings.

Question: how many letters in the persons name...could you spell out his name in tastefully arranged lettering somehow (Not sure how exactly, kind of presenting an outside-the-box concept here rather then specific instructions).

Maybe a shape would be better, like painting the casings purple and arranging them into a heart if he got a purple heart during a conflict or something? A star perhaps if he is of Jewish decent...or some other shape along those lines?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

get in contack with your local VFW and they can tell you the significance and proper way to display the casings.. i wouldnt suggest a name or a symbol,, to much chance of having a misunderstanding.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    What about arranging them like this. Just a thought
    A military 21 gun salute is three volleys of seven riflemen.

More fitting might be 3 rows of 7.

Also there is an order for metals/ribbons, the Web can tell you that information.

Thanks all! Some one else pointed out the sequence of the 21 gun salute. I think I'll add a block of cherry and inset it in the red field with the casings set in three rows of seven.