Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood slicer bandsaw blades any comments?

Wood slicer bandsaw blades any comments?

Has any of you tried the mentioned blades? Are they as fantastic as they advertise specially for resawing and cutting veneers?

Any info will be greatly appreaciated

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

toni,
    i buy my carbon steel blades from ellis mfg.they`re good blades at a fair price.
    to be fair i`ve never used the woodslicer because it`s about 3x the cost of what i buy and in my opinion a carbon blade is only good unitil it starts to dull..........i`d rather have three sharp blades instead of one.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Toni, I have a Woodslicer that I've used for resawing on my 14" (with riser block) bandsaw. It cuts slower, but smoother than any other blade I've used on this saw. If the saw is set up right, it'll cut slices out of 6"+ material that require only minimal sanding.

Tod does have a good point about buying three sharp blades for the price of one, and especially in a production environment like his, it makes sense. He has a lot better tools for smoothing up the cut afterwards than I do, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Tod, Vaughn.

Thanks for the info,I was asking because I thought about trying one, but at 29$ each plus shipping to Spain I wanted to be sure it was worth the price.

So maybe I'll leave it for later

BTW Vaughn. Is that "bagheadman" of your avatar you?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    ...BTW Vaughn. Is that "bagheadman" of your avatar you?
    It's probably someone you would know only if you watched a lot of American TV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_Comic
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for broadening my knowledge Vaughn. Now I know a bit more than yesterday.
    Best regards,
    Toni

toni, look locally for a blade supplier, i`d suggest a 3t hook blade with as wide a body as your saw will support for resawing.
    the species and height of the wood, wheel size of your saw and horsepower of the motor all have bearing on blade choice....

I used to keep Woodslicers on my 14" Jet+Riser but sold that when I got the Minimax with a Lenox Trimaster. The WS works extremely well when it's sharp but seems to dull a bit sooner than I think it should but I dont really have anything to compare it to. I was using the WS pretty much right after buying that saw. Check with Iturra (I dont think they have a website yet). I've read that they have the same blade under another name and they may have better prices than Highland Hardware. Iturra's catalog is well worth having even if you dont buy blades through them.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    toni, look locally for a blade supplier, i`d suggest a 3t hook blade with as wide a body as your saw will support for resawing.
    the species and height of the wood, wheel size of your saw and horsepower of the motor all have bearing on blade choice....
    Thanks Tod.

What do you mean by "3T"? 3 teeth per inch? and as far as the width is concerned would you say that a rule of thumb would be: the harder the wood the wider the blade or the opposite?

Dough.
    Thanks for the info, I thought that Iturra only made blade guides and similar. I'll try to get their catalog.
    Best regards,
    Toni

yup 3 teeth per inch..........the width has nothing to do with the wood density it`s all about tracking straight in the cut.......smaller saws don`t have the spine strength to tension a wide blade so look to your saws manufacturer for width recomendations.