Next project?

Jeff Horton

This is or rather was my Nieces boat. We had big plans of getting both our boats built and doing some paddling this summer. Well this is far as hers got. I got tired of it being in my way and I put up here while I waited on her. I finally made a comment to her which made her mad. That was sort of the idea. I wanted to see if she was serious or had lost interest. Summer is over and she hasn't shown back up, pretty much answers that question.

wgb_on_shelf.jpg

I have waited long enough. She has started college now so I have given up. The boat has been renamed to 'WasGonaB'. That was my wife's idea and I loved it. Perfect name!

I was going to start another new boat but I have been thinking for a couple weeks now about this project. I am thinking that I might just pull it down and finish it. Still a lot of work to be done to it but there is a good start made. Besides cold weather is coming and I need a good winter project. Right?

A lot Don. The one I am going to go with is Skin on Frame boat. You build a skeleton frame and then skin it with synthetic fabric. Like Nylon or Polyester. I have not built a skin boat but what I read I can build it about 1/3 time it would take to finish that ply boat. Cost is less too.

Been playing around with another design tonight. It's a little bit bigger and more stable. It based on Tom's Sea Cruiser plans.

sea cruiser_Linesplan.png

Jeff, I am looking forward to seeing the new kayak. From the drawings the lines look nice. I couldn't make out the last sketch up, what is the length and beam of this one?
Don

did ya ever get the entertainment centr done jeff? if so i missed the finalle:dunno: the last thing i read was where you had to take apart your tenons and reglue them..

For the skin on Frame, do you coat the fabric with fiberglass or something?

How fragile are they compared to the plywood boats?

Just curious...

did ya ever get the entertainment centr done jeff?

Nope, really close thought. I needeed some poplar for the drawers. Have most everyone else done. Sanding it getting it ready to spray on the finish.

I now have the poplar and draw slides so I can build the drawers. I have had a lot of interruptions on this one or it would have been done 2 months ago.

For the skin on Frame, do you coat the fabric with fiberglass or something?

How fragile are they compared to the plywood boats?.

You have to coat them to make them waterproof. Many different coatings, but ZAR Poly based Varnish is the one of the best from what I read. Main thing is a UV protective coating. As for toughness, they are much tougher than you would think. Bullet proof vests are (were?) made with layers of nylon.

Yes you can damage them, but it's not easy. I read about a fellow that made some 12" square panels, coated them in 8oz. Nylon and gave them the "Grandson test" :thumb:

I gave my grandson, Michael,free rein with two screwdrivers on the same panels,to do whatever he liked. He stabbed at the nylon,with all he had,with both points and only made 2 or 3 holes.There were,however,lots of scrapes
and gouges (out of approx.30 attempts), mostly chipping the finish.

If it can pass the 'Grandson' test I am not worried. Besides a little duct tape and your good to go. :rofl:

I guess I had pictured them being made with some light type of nylon, like a tent. From what you are saying it's probably thicker than that?

That would make sense. So, in addition to the varnish, do you paint it?

Sure sounds like a fun project. I still have dreams someday of building a kayak or a canoe.

:thumb:

Not as light as tent but it's still light weight. 8-12 oz is normal. I think that is weight per yard?

Problem with painting it is getting paint to stick to the nylon. Some people dye the skins with an acid dye. I haven't looked into it that closely. I sort of the like the natural tanish color.

Well, I'm totally jealous of these boating projects you've been doing.

I'll be watching your build log closely! :thumb:

I used to subscribe to 'Wooden Boat' For years, even though I had no intention of every buying one. I always thought I might build one. I've got a couple of fiberglass boats (One Sail, One Bass) and a little el-toro type sailing dingy I built.

Reading your posts is going to get me in trouble one of these days. :rofl:

I think I have my design. This will be a big departure from my current boat. Very narrow and sleek. Per the charts it is faster but I am not into speed. But less resistance means less tired at the end of the day and that is good thing!

There are still a couple of cosmetic issues I am not certain about but I am almost positive this is the boat I am going to build next.

loon_Linesplan.jpg

Skin on wood frame saves a lot of weight. As for seaworthiness, this is the technique used by the Eskimos.
I have an old kayak made with this technique. It got a puncture from a nail sticking out from a dock. I simply stuck some duct tape over the hole.
One morning I woke up early and decided to go for a canoe ride. My son heard me and followed with the kayak. We were on a fairly large lake and I decided to explore the far reaches. After about half or three quarters of an hour of paddlling, I thought that I heard a cry. Looking around, I spotted my son quite far behind. I paddled back to see how he was doing. He was very cold and wet. The tape had come loose and the kayak filled with water. This made for very slow paddling since the kayak was very heavy. The only thing keeping him afloat was some pieces of styrafoam that were stuck into the front and back. Can't remember if he was wearing a life jacket, but he was really glad for the rescue.
We did go and buy some more durable tape, but I can't remember what kind.