Did a little shopping today.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I did a little shopping today, and now I have to get the shop cleaned up so I can use some new toys...

Went to woodcraft and picked up their sanding pad set and some extra 'wavy' sanding disks. Not a great deal on the sanding set, but hey, it had everything I needed, so I got it.

Picked up a Sorby Multi Hollowing tool and a little dovetail scraper. I got the straight shaft one. Not sure why, just figured it might have more uses for the time being than the goose neck, and Might be a little easier to learn with. I also got the dovetail scraper because it wasn't that much, and it matches the chuck I've got.

Also got a spare belt for the lathe, and a 1"x8"tpi tap so I can make some disposable face plates for the lathe. The tap might come in handy too for when I decide to cobble together a vacuum chucking system.

At Harbor freight they had 2 varieties of the close quarter drill. The Orange and the Grey. The orange was 29 bucks. The grey had a keyless chuck and was 39 bucks. I broke down and bought the grey.

Also stopped by lowes and picked up a kerosene heater and some kerosene, for when it starts to get cold out in the shop. I figured since we are in an all electric house, it can double as our emergency heater for if the power goes out.

And Finally, a picture of my lathe and stand covered in shavings to show I've actually be playing with things out there. Nothing to show for the last week, but I'm working on it....

todayshaul_1.jpg

todayshaul_2.jpg

todayshaul_3.jpg

todayshaul_4b.jpg

todayshaul_5.jpg

today_shavings.jpg

Just spent the last couple of hours sweeping up and cleaning off the lathe.

I also 'finally' put some plastic over the stand to keep the shavings from clogging it up. :rolleyes:

For some reason, I just don't think a lot of shavings on the floor will mix with heater.

Alrighty then, Tomorrow, I try my first 'hollow' thingy.

The $40 HF Drill doesn't 'feel' as cheesy as I thought it would. It's actually supposed to have 'magnesium' parts, I guess to make it lighter. I'm sure its internally the same exact guts as the $30 drill through, so it's anybody's guess as to the lifespan.

I bought 2 of the angle drills when I bought mine thinking if one went quick I would have another one on hand. The first one is still going after about 2 yrs of some pretty rough use.

Keep the bill from the HF drill, I think you get a one year warranty :dunno:

I have almost the exact same heater, it cranks out the heat, but you just have to have a window cracked, as they also eat all the oxygen in the room. I just about did myself in one long session in the Dungeon on a Sunday, I was getting loopy and I tried to light a cigar, and the matches would not burn, they would light, and then go out, I found if I moved the match around, then it would burn a bit, but if I stopped moving it, it went out............. finally alarm bells went off in my head, something is not right!!!

My exhaust fan had shut down, and the heater was running full blast all day, the fan was on a timer, and I forgot to reset it, I was getting the Dungeon up to temp, as I was doing some finishing.

I turned off the heater, opened the hatch and went upstairs, I was sick for a couple of days, my fingernails were blue:eek: I no longer use that heater in the Dungeon, I have an electric one, but the kerosene heater is a great back up unit, just in case.

Just about did myself in, so learn from my mistake, and keep a window open. :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers!

Last edited:
If your Harbor Freight drill quits running make sure the brushes under the two plastic screws towards the bottom are making proper contact.

I have almost the exact same heater, it cranks out the heat, but you just have to have a window cracked, as they also eat all the oxygen in the room. I just about did myself in one long session in the Dungeon on a Sunday, I was getting loopy and I tried to light a cigar, and the matches would not burn, they would light, and then go out, I found if I moved the match around, then it would burn a bit, but if I stopped moving it, it went out............. finally alarm bells went off in my head, something is not right!!!

My exhaust fan had shut down, and the heater was running full blast all day, the fan was on a timer, and I forgot to reset it, I was getting the Dungeon up to temp, as I was doing some finishing.

I turned off the heater, opened the hatch and went upstairs, I was sick for a couple of days, my fingernails were blue:eek: I no longer use that heater in the Dungeon, I have an electric one, but the kerosene heater is a great back up unit, just in case.

Just about did myself in, so learn from my mistake, and keep a window open. :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers!

Great Advice! :thumb: Well, the garage is a leaky as a sieve. No insulation, so the soffit vent holes are exposed.... I'll put a little CO detector out there, just in case too.

Keep the bill from the HF drill, I think you get a one year warranty :dunno:

Cheers!

Hi Stu

You are a great man to post this experience. I dont think too many guys actually realize these hazards. This is the reason I spent big money on my heating. Being Canadian you can appreciate our winters here. Luckily I saw an article by John Sillaots in a magazine a long time ago where he was installing one of these

http://www.easyradiantworks.com/heatwave.htm

In his workshop. Given I have experienced the radiant heaters at the Hockey Arenas I decided when I evaluated the merits of thsi versus all the others that I would install one of these in my shop someday and make sure I have none of the hazardous issues that go with heating a sealed up shop in winter. I was lucky to meet a guy through my shop builders that had done it already and he leaves it on through the whole of winter while he is down south to prevent condensation in his shop.

So hence my shop is fitted with one of these. See picture attached.

I made sure to build a cathedral ceiling using a scissors truss to get additional height so as to hang it in "free space" It is now getting colder in Canada and boy it is nice and cozy in my shop without getting stuffy and I dont even have to run it much I keep it on the lowest thermostat setting and only have to trim it up for a while when i go out there to get the heat up a little.

Of course it helps to have insulated the place to R22 and double layer of 5/8 drywall but that was also for NN neihbour noise factor.

Attachments

• what a beauty my radiant shop heater.jpg
    what a beauty my radiant shop heater.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
Nice heater Rob:thumb: Gee, I don't need one here:D

Hi Royall

Well I lived for most of my life in a continuosly sunny climate and I now think its boring. I really like having 4 seasons, makes life far more interesting. Of course this pre supposes that you are fortunate enough to be tucked up nice and warm when its cold out there. :wave: