Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highland Woodworking Woodturner's Blade

Question Highland Woodworking Woodturner's Blade

Has anyone picked up one of these? Highland Woodworking's Woodturner's blade for cutting bowl blanks.
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=6944
    They say it is similar to the Wood Slicer blade. This blade is 3/8" 3 TPI. The price is very reasonable at $17.99. plus S&H.
    -Ned

Looks pretty much like the 3 TPI blades I use from Suffolk Machinery. It also looks like the only similarity between this one and the Woodslicer is they are both bandsaw blades. This has a different tooth set, blade gage, and TPI.

I do agree the price looks decent. It's a bit less than Suffolk charges for essentially the same thing. (When Suffolk is having their "buy three, get one free" sale, they come out a bit ahead.

I wore out my last 1/2" 3TPI green wood blade, so right now I'm using my 3/4" 3TPI until I buy some more thin ones. I might just have to try this one. I'm also thinking of trying the ones from Ellis Mfg, as Tod recommends.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

of course I'm considering the twolf blades as well, I've got to wait for the war-chest to restock next week either way(went to my hardwood dealer for some walnut today... and a piece of lyptus followed me home too, as well as some anchor seal). I just spotted them on Highland's site, and thought I'd ask.

Same source is the only connection I can see between the wood slicer and woodturner's blade as well.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 11-08-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    -Ned

Ned that looks like the 3/8" X 3AS alternate set I get from Suffolk Machinery or Timberwolf blade. I have been using it on green wood bowl blanks now for about a 1 1/2 yrs. and it is still cutting pretty good. When I cut the big stuff over 8" thick I use the 1/2" X 3AS alternate set. It does a great job on big stuff up to 12 1/2".
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Ned that looks like the 3/8" X 3AS alternate set I get from Suffolk Machinery or Timberwolf blade. I have been using it on green wood bowl blanks now for about a 1 1/2 yrs. and it is still cutting pretty good. When I cut the big stuff over 8" thick I use the 1/2" X 3AS alternate set. It does a great job on big stuff up to 12 1/2".
    Do you know if Suffolk or Timberwolf make custom sizes? I have a 1950's machine that takes 78" and I've only found one source that is decently priced for costum work.

Thanks,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    Do you know if Suffolk or Timberwolf make custom sizes? I have a 1950's machine that takes 78" and I've only found one source that is decently priced for costum work.

Thanks,
    Jon
    They specialize in custom sizes. Their pricing is by the inch, and I suspect they don't make your blade until you order it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

highland tools bandsaw blades

I have been useing them for about two yrs,they are heavier than most blades.I had one break on me (my fault) I called to order another one and told em what happened and they said no problem and I had a new one in three days (no charge)I have been dealing with highland tools long before I started turning,I use the woodslicer also and love them both.I used to buy the high dollar carbide tip blades for over a hundred bucks each,NO more.You can't beat the blade and the service is 2nd to none.
    Ken

I have been using these blades for a couple of years and they work great!
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Personally, I do not like 3 tpi blades. Might be my fault for not feeding fast enough, I dunno , but I have had catches that kinked the blade with 3s. For my resawing blade, I now use a 3/4"X4tpi T'Wolf and like it a lot. Smooth and fast cutting. My 3/8" general purpose is a 6 tpi.

Frank, 3/4" blade might be a bit to wide for cutting bowl blanks, unless you are cutting bigger stuff. The smallest bowl blank you can get with this size is around 11"

Now, if you are just resawing wood in a 14" bandsaw, 3/4" blade will be fine. Which BTW, is the max a bandsaw this size could handle.

BTW, a 3/8" blade will let you cut a 4" bowl blank.