Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parrallel jaw clamps

Parrallel jaw clamps

OK what is all the fuss about? I know some of you brag about your Bessy clamp collection. I have never used one and frankly have been happy with my F-clamps and Bar clamps.

So what makes these so special? Besides the fact 'Norm' promoted them. What do they do better than the bar or f style clamps? Why would I want to spend so much money to own some of these?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

For me, the difference is that they snug up square, my F-clamps do not, they have a LOT more clamping area, which seems to work better than just adding a block to the F-clamps. They stand up on their own on the work bench while I'm doing a glue up, which really helps.

Are they the only way to fly, certainly not, would I pay top dollar for them, no, I got them on a super deal, and with the help Greg, reshipping them to me, I got them on the cheap, certainly cheaper than I could by F-clamps here in Japan of the same length.

YMMV
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Greater surface contact, square-up as you clamp, they stand on their faces, backs or heads before use and while holding the piece. There is no need to get some just because others do. I really enjoy the features but see many, many, professionals and instructors in pictures and videos who manage to produce the quality I am only striving for with plain ole Jorgie pipe clamps ;-)

P.s. I've only bought them on sale but have gather a reasonable amount over the years.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Standing up is a nice feature for sure! I found a deal on box of about a dozen sets of pipe clamps a while back. In the box was some of the aluminum stands and I have REALLY enjoyed those.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

For all the performance reasons stated above...plus, in 2006 Amazon had a couple blowout sales.....

Last edited by Greg Cook; 11-10-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I use the Bessy clamps as well. They work so nice when putting cabinet doors together. I got tired of fighting the f-clamps when making doors. There is such a fine line between just enough pressure on the joint to having the piece start bowing.

And what the heck.... Normy uses them
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

i also got started with them threw the lee valley sales and like them for the above reasons mentioned jeff for larg glue ups the bar clamps are stronger but can tend to bow the work. the built in squaring feature is really nice, as is the standup or laydown and be ready to go..also the one hadned operation is nice. if you have grip they work well if you dont then you are in trouble
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I use Bessey K-Body Clamps as well. Everyone else pretty much covered the reasons that I like them (bigger clamping area, square up, stand up nice).

They have worked great on my cutting boards, and on panel doors as well.

Alot of places have them on sale, since Bessey changed from the K-Body to the Revo.

From what I have read Jet makes a good parallel clamp too.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Without trying to take over the thread, (hopefully a question that will coincide with the discussion already going) what length clamps do those of you that do cabinet/case work find you reach for the most? I'm going to be in need of clamps in the next few years, and so I'm starting to look for the good deals. I'm thinking a group of 30" and 50" with maybe four 96" for tall case work. I know most get 24", but why? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Without trying to take over the thread, (hopefully a question that will coincide with the discussion already going) what length clamps do those of you that do cabinet/case work find you reach for the most? I'm going to be in need of clamps in the next few years, and so I'm starting to look for the good deals. I'm thinking a group of 30" and 50" with maybe four 96" for tall case work. I know most get 24", but why? Jim.

Jim,

I have several 24"s, 2 40"s, and 2 50"s. I find I use the 24s most often. For most of the panels and cutting boards I've done the 24s have been all that I needed. However the 40"s have come in handy a few times. The 50s don't get too much use, but I'm glad I have the capacity incase I need it. (the 50s were a gift- so who could turn down a gift like that?)
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe