Parrallel jaw clamps

Jeff Horton

OK what is all the fuss about? I know some of you brag about your Bessy clamp collection. I have never used one and frankly have been happy with my F-clamps and Bar clamps.

So what makes these so special? Besides the fact 'Norm' promoted them. What do they do better than the bar or f style clamps? Why would I want to spend so much money to own some of these?

For me, the difference is that they snug up square, my F-clamps do not, they have a LOT more clamping area, which seems to work better than just adding a block to the F-clamps. They stand up on their own on the work bench while I'm doing a glue up, which really helps.

Are they the only way to fly, certainly not, would I pay top dollar for them, no, I got them on a super deal, and with the help Greg, reshipping them to me, I got them on the cheap, certainly cheaper than I could by F-clamps here in Japan of the same length.

YMMV :wave:

Greater surface contact, square-up as you clamp, they stand on their faces, backs or heads before use and while holding the piece. There is no need to get some just because others do. I really enjoy the features but see many, many, professionals and instructors in pictures and videos who manage to produce the quality I am only striving for with plain ole Jorgie pipe clamps ;-)

P.s. I've only bought them on sale but have gather a reasonable amount over the years.

Standing up is a nice feature for sure! I found a deal on box of about a dozen sets of pipe clamps a while back. In the box was some of the aluminum stands and I have REALLY enjoyed those.

i also got started with them threw the lee valley sales and like them for the above reasons mentioned jeff for larg glue ups the bar clamps are stronger but can tend to bow the work. the built in squaring feature is really nice, as is the standup or laydown and be ready to go..also the one hadned operation is nice. if you have grip they work well if you dont then you are in trouble:D

I use Bessey K-Body Clamps as well. Everyone else pretty much covered the reasons that I like them (bigger clamping area, square up, stand up nice).

They have worked great on my cutting boards, and on panel doors as well.

Alot of places have them on sale, since Bessey changed from the K-Body to the Revo.

From what I have read Jet makes a good parallel clamp too.

Without trying to take over the thread, (hopefully a question that will coincide with the discussion already going) what length clamps do those of you that do cabinet/case work find you reach for the most? I'm going to be in need of clamps in the next few years, and so I'm starting to look for the good deals. I'm thinking a group of 30" and 50" with maybe four 96" for tall case work. I know most get 24", but why? Jim.

Without trying to take over the thread, (hopefully a question that will coincide with the discussion already going) what length clamps do those of you that do cabinet/case work find you reach for the most? I'm going to be in need of clamps in the next few years, and so I'm starting to look for the good deals. I'm thinking a group of 30" and 50" with maybe four 96" for tall case work. I know most get 24", but why? Jim.

Jim,

I have several 24"s, 2 40"s, and 2 50"s. I find I use the 24s most often. For most of the panels and cutting boards I've done the 24s have been all that I needed. However the 40"s have come in handy a few times. The 50s don't get too much use, but I'm glad I have the capacity incase I need it. (the 50s were a gift- so who could turn down a gift like that?)

Most of mine are the Gross-Stabil version...a little beefier than the Besseys but the same concept. IMO they clamp more evenly and squarely that F clamps or pipe clamps. I have all three kinds, but the parallel clamps are the ones I reach for first 99% of the time.

And I also got all mine via various sales. ;)

I find being able to stand them on their tops almost as handy as the backs. Once you have something clamped up you can lift it out of the way and set the whole assembly on the floor, freeing up space for the next piece to be clamped up.

I can't say why I reach for 24" the most but I assume I've come to expect my clamps to act a certain way and reach for the K-Body when an F-clamp would do. I got tired of not having enough 24" so I picked them up when I found them on sale. I ended up with 8 seeming to be the right amount for me.

I would really use some 12 - 15" ones (and will be checking at the show in March) and use the 31" quite a bit. The 50" only come into play on large carcase work so that is seldom. At that length I generally grab one of a dozen or so pipe clamps off the rack.

Yes, I know about the extenders, and that may be a better way to go for the few times I might need something for a floor to ceiling piece. I see using them first for building a set of kitchen cabinets. I figure I will have mostly 42" base bottoms, so 24" deep. The 24s would work well, but the 30s would seem to be a little more versatile, and still not be overkill. 50s would work well for 48" bases. Might want some 18s for the upper cabinets. Just thinking out loud.:rolleyes:
Tod, that is some type of serious clamp!! I can see for someone like you in the business of building items that they would be a good investment, but a little out of my range. :D Jim.

ok jim i will try this again,,, i use the 24's and ther forty's alot then after the 24 are busy i go to the 31's i have some fifty's which are good to replace a vice on my assembly table,, works well.. i use the fortys more than the fifty's but i would be lost without the 24's i do have some like tods and use those for large work,, but i have had trouble with bowing the glue up which is probally operator error.. but those do hav emore pressure than the bessy style.. and the advantage of standing up on the side like glen mentioned is great as well i would get the cab specails then go tthe 31's then the fifty's it depends on what you are heading towards in your project list.

On another forum I learned that Stanley marketed a series of clamps that were labeled "Bailey". Big Lots has been closing them out and most recently has been selling 18" to 50" parallel jaw clamps for $10-15.

I have two within 12 miles of here and plan to check them today.

See 'ya there??

OK what is all the fuss about? I know some of you brag about your Bessy clamp collection. I have never used one and frankly have been happy with my F-clamps and Bar clamps.

Jeff ...am I glad a guy with your presence on this forum posted this. I have been wondering what all the fuss was about these types of clamps. I have bar clamps too and for the price I could not believe these clamps offfer that much more. Like Todd I too have some old solid steel and cast iron bar clamps that my dad passed down to me.

Given the expertise on this forum I feel great that my intuition on these items was correct.

I recently picked up a unbelievable bargain on a bunch of short and long aluminium bar clamps from Lee Valley. This was a very special buy. When i did the research on them comments were not good but at the price I could not believe it. They turned out fine for a hobbyist.:D