Randon Acts of Kindness Thread

Another philanthropist that began Dexter Shoe in Dexter Maine recently did a RAK on a grand scale. EVERY child born in Maine after 2006, regardless of economic status, gets an automatic $500 dollars for their college education. There are some golden strings attached, but still pretty generous.

Hey Travis the one thing that is absolutely true is that you cannot take money to the grave. Pretty useless stuff when you are dead. Guess this Decter guy knew that.

This really wasn't a random act of kindness, but one that my LOML and I did every year for about 8 years in Virginia. The Chamber of Commerce in Virginia Beach had a program to provide a home for every young sailor who couldn't go home for Thanksgiving--the citizens of the city would sign up and indicate how many people they could accommodate for the day, and they would get matched up with sailors. These were mostlly young guys who were at the schools command at Dam Neck base--they got the entire four-day weekend off from school, but so many of them just couldn't manage the dollars to get home to places like Texas and California for the weekend. Every year we would host two or three sailors, and we met some wonderful young men who had decided to give time to our country by joining the Navy. Many of them, even with only six months of service thus far, had decided to make careers of the Navy. Since LOML had been in their positions at times, and had spent many holidays virtually alone, it was something that he totally supported and wanted to do--and he provided the transportation. Son and I even did it one year when LOML was at sea in the Med--it was a tradition in the Laird household. I just wish that Albuquerque had a similar program.