Salt shaker

Brian Kight

Alright I had to try it. I modified it a bit because I didn't like the idea of pouring salt into the little hole in the bottom. I just turned the "volcano" in the bottom and made the lid tight so I could just take the lid off and pour the salt in that way. This is a revenge salt shakerbox made from the holly vase that convinced me that a face shield is a great idea as it whacked me in the forehead. The vase wasn't hollowed out being the first thing I tried on the lathe that didn't have a mandrel through it so I had some wood to work with. I have been keeping it just for this kind of occasion:D.This wood was really crumbly as you can see on the bottom, but but I was just seeing if this would work so this is by no means a show piece. It just has a bit of candle wax melted onto it and it does shake salt. I might would put a smaller hole than an 1/8 inch though, a stout shake will put a fair amount out. It is roughly 3"x 2".

Attachments

• s6301505sm.jpg
    s6301505sm.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 26
  • s6301507sm.jpg
    s6301507sm.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 38
  • s6301510sm.jpg
    s6301510sm.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 39
That's neat, Brian. I had forgotten about this type of salt shaker. Looks like it's time to add another project to the "wanna try it one of these days" list.

Thanks yall. I go the idea from Kerry Burtons ornament thread:

"Quote:
Jim, I see that you "joined the family" in August. Did you happen to catch my step-by-step for a unique salt shaker in [The Volcano Under]."

Great job, Brian! :clap: This just goes to show that there are always multiple ways to get the job done.

My design modified the "plug" at the bottom and split the shaker into 3 pieces. Your design turned the whole thing on its head! You may have lost a tiny bit in the initial "How does this work"? reaction from first-time users, but you more than made up for it in the "Easy maintenance" department. :)

Keep thinking outside the (salt) box! :thumb: