Common Use for a Grr-Ripper

glenn bradley

Every now and again I'm just toodling along in the shop minding my own business and I'll think. . . "hey, I should post that just for the sake of conversation".

Those of you who have these already know but for those, who like I, wondered why anyone would pay $XX for a push block . . .

I don't do a lot of small stuff but, Christmas is upon us and in my world, that means attack the scrap bin!!!

I needed a couple 1/4" x 1/4" rabbets in some pieces 1-1/4" x 1/2" x 6-1/2" long. Yes, if I wasn't making this thing up as I went along, I would have cut the profile and then sized down the piece but, I digress.

Set the block to hold the piece down as well as against the fence.

Grr-Ripper-Plate-1.jpg

Pop the little doo-dah in like so.

Grr-Ripper-Plate-2.jpg

Run 'er through.

Grr-Ripper-Plate-3.jpg

And do that a bunch more times; safely, quickly, repeatably.

Grr-Ripper-Plate-4.jpg

Next time I'll do the profile, then rip the width and cross cut to length . . . yeah, like I'm doing this again till next year :wave:.

You know Glenn, a persons gotta' be nuts to buy one of those. That's why I have two:eek:

I know they're expensive, but they are one of the more versatile push blocks that I've ever used. I think the two tools that make me think the most about my fingers are the tablesaw and the jointer and on both of those I get to keep my fingers well out of the line of fire using this Gripper jig. They're one of the few really (relatively) expensive tools that I don't regret buying.

cheers

John

What model is that? Amazon lists four different ones. Deluxe, supreme, etc.
I use less than perfect pusher when working with my mini-shaper. I should bring Tod over sometime to see it. He is needing a good laugh lately. :D

These things are worth every penny you have to pay for them! I bought a package at The Woodworking Shows a few years ago. I think it was called the Deluxe package -- had two #200 with all the bells and whistles. It performs exactly as advertised. I've had no issue ripping 1/4" wide strips of short pieces. Rabbeting small pieces is even easier!
:thumb:

What model is that? Amazon lists four different ones. Deluxe, supreme, etc.

I also have two of the model 200 units. I use a variety of other pushing / conrolling thingys, shop made and otherwise. For several tasks these things, as stated previously, are just . . . . . . cool.

P.s. I've never bothered with the seperately available "handle bridge". I understand the concept but in handling them with and without I went without. YMMV.

Last edited:
I've also got two of them, but the second one is still in the box. (Got it during a good Internet sale somewhere.) I haven't needed the second one yet (all my rippng has been short pieces), but it's there for the times I do need it. I don't have the extra base plate like you, Glenn. That looks handy, for sure.

I have got one of each, one with all the extras and one without. Seems to be working well as I use both depending on what I need and I don't have to take that extra foot on/off when it's not needed or gets in the way, I just grab the other one that has it.

Ok Glenn, I ordered one, now if I don't like it will you buy it....:D

Hartville has them on sale right now, $64.95 for the 200.

Hey guys I was wondering who does not have one of these? So I am going to start a new thread with a poll as a impromtu non scientific survey of the Family. Who knows maybe we could muster a special FWW deal for a bulk buy or something like that.

Ok Glenn, I ordered one, now if I don't like it will you buy it....:D

Hartville has them on sale right now, $64.95 for the 200.

You know, I was just thinkin' the other day . . . :D

Seriously, it took me a while to automatically think or the tool when an opportunity to use it came along. Now that I have used them for so many things, they just jump to mind when I am thinking about how I would make a cut.

Last edited:
Hey guys I was wondering who does not have one of these? So I am going to start a new thread with a poll as a impromtu non scientific survey of the Family. Who knows maybe we could muster a special FWW deal for a bulk buy or something like that.

I am one of those who doesn't own one yet. Have to look for one at the next woodworkers show in Feb. After taking the tip of my left ring finger off a few years ago, I look at these tools with a lot more consideration as to what might be good for me. And LOML seems to think she wants me to have all my fingers for the jobs she has for me to do. Actually think she just doesn't want to take care of me while I recuperate!!

I am one of those who doesn't own one yet. Have to look for one at the next woodworkers show in Feb. After taking the tip of my left ring finger off a few years ago, I look at these tools with a lot more consideration as to what might be good for me. And LOML seems to think she wants me to have all my fingers for the jobs she has for me to do. Actually think she just doesn't want to take care of me while I recuperate!!

I'll say it this way I have 2 200 series & they both have little nicks & cuts in them but my hands don't.

Vaughn

Here is one way to set up you spare Grr-Ripper that is handy.

Attachments

• GRRR1.jpg
    GRRR1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 33
  • GRRR2.jpg
    GRRR2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 33