Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson V shape bowl gouge or U shape

Thompson V shape bowl gouge or U shape

I am looking at putting new Thompson bowl gouges on my christmas list. But being new to turning not sure as to which shape is better.

What are your preferences the V or U shape and why?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    Keith

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/t...pl?read=187188

Check out that thread from over on woodcentral discussing generic 'beginner's gouges' a couple of months back. Several 'heavy hitters' weighed in, but the gist was '1/2" either U or V' and simply start turning.

fwiw, I'm just starting out and have a couple to choose from thanks to the occasional RAK and picking up two sets of tools over the past two years.
    -Ned

Keith, I have both and use both. I tend to use the V on the outsides of bowls, and prefer the U on the inside. I guess if I were to have to pick one, it'd probably be the U, since (for me) it's a bit more versatile. (I still probably use the V more often, though...I know, I'm not helping.)

I'd say put both on your list. You'll be happy with either one, and if you've been a very good boy this year, Santa might even bring you both.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

V or U shape

I also have them both and use them both.Some folks like the V and some folks like the U and do an excelent job with either one,so basiclly you may want to try them both and decide which one work better for you.Guess I didn't help much either

Don't bother with either. Bowl gouges are impossible to use.

Disclaimer: I am no moderater nor administrator on this site, so my opinion has no more weight or authority than anyone elses.

No reflection on Frank or anyone else who has a hard time with bowl gouges intended here. However, I don't understand why so many people have a hard time with them. If you can use a spindle gouge, you should be able to use a bowl gouge. More people seem to have trouble with skews. If I need an adreniline rush, I still pul out my skew, knowing that a catch is about to happen. Doesn't always happen, but also does not surprise me when it does. I think we need to be a bit more gaurded about disparaging one tool or another just because we are not able to use it. We may be scaring someone away from the tool they will be able to use the best. Just a thought before any of us put down a tool that others have great success with.

(Mods feel free to delete if I'm out of line here)

Doug, I don't know why I am having such a problem either. A friend gave me tips and I did OK. Later, I even turned a bowl with no problem. A bit after that it was back to square one. I have a strong desire to make bowls and other items. My investment in lathe, chucks, tools, etc. is substantial and they are just setting there. Another friend has offered to tutor me but our schedules never seem to mesh. The bowl gouge is a 'touch and catch' thing, every time. Strange considering how I used it successfully a couple times and really made shavings fly. I know it's me but do not know how to correct the angle of the dangle or wangle to make it work again.
    You are not out of line, your post is appropriate. We are here to share. The only thing you said I would criticize is that mods and administrators have no more right or authority to post opinions, controversial or otherwise, than anyone else. We are just members who stuck our necks out for a period of time. Please keep posting, your points of view are welcome.

Doug and Frank are both right. Bowl gouges are hard to use. But if you remember learning to drive, use a computer, play guitar...those were hard and seemingly insurmountable at the time. I have a Henry Taylor 1/2" that I scream with...on the outside of a bowl. I also have a real sharp 3/4" round nose scraper that I use on almost all my inside work. I practice my tail off hollowing out pine chunks. Some progress, but nothing dramatic. Skews are scary, but it was the only thing I was comfortable with being self-taught on pens and stoppers. I'm going to head to Utah next year for one of Craft Supply’s 5-day workshops. I want to break those self-taught habits and get a clue. It's been said on this forum and others a million times....practice practice, practice. I doubt I would have ever moved to lidded or salt boxes, or bigger better bowls had it not been for the experience you get on this (and other supportive) forum(s). Keep at it guys and cheers to those who push us to better our work!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Frank,
    I wondered about the bowl gouge...

Doug,
    Mods are also Members too! And as it so happens, Many of them are spinny people. I trust their opinion on this subject just like Everybody else, INcluding yours!
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Doug, I don't know why I am having such a problem either.
    Frank, try turning some green wood instead of dry wood. You will find it easier to turn.