Thompson V shape bowl gouge or U shape

Keith Palmer

I am looking at putting new Thompson bowl gouges on my christmas list. But being new to turning not sure as to which shape is better.

What are your preferences the V or U shape and why?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Keith

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/turning3.pl?read=187188

Check out that thread from over on woodcentral discussing generic 'beginner's gouges' a couple of months back. Several 'heavy hitters' weighed in, but the gist was '1/2" either U or V' and simply start turning.

fwiw, I'm just starting out and have a couple to choose from thanks to the occasional RAK and picking up two sets of tools over the past two years.

Keith, I have both and use both. I tend to use the V on the outsides of bowls, and prefer the U on the inside. I guess if I were to have to pick one, it'd probably be the U, since (for me) it's a bit more versatile. (I still probably use the V more often, though...I know, I'm not helping.)

I'd say put both on your list. You'll be happy with either one, and if you've been a very good boy this year, Santa might even bring you both. ;)

V or U shape

I also have them both and use them both.Some folks like the V and some folks like the U and do an excelent job with either one,so basiclly you may want to try them both and decide which one work better for you.Guess I didn't help much either :dunno:

Disclaimer: I am no moderater nor administrator on this site, so my opinion has no more weight or authority than anyone elses.

No reflection on Frank or anyone else who has a hard time with bowl gouges intended here. However, I don't understand why so many people have a hard time with them. If you can use a spindle gouge, you should be able to use a bowl gouge. More people seem to have trouble with skews. If I need an adreniline rush, I still pul out my skew, knowing that a catch is about to happen. Doesn't always happen, but also does not surprise me when it does. I think we need to be a bit more gaurded about disparaging one tool or another just because we are not able to use it. We may be scaring someone away from the tool they will be able to use the best. Just a thought before any of us put down a tool that others have great success with.

(Mods feel free to delete if I'm out of line here)

Doug, I don't know why I am having such a problem either. A friend gave me tips and I did OK. Later, I even turned a bowl with no problem. A bit after that it was back to square one. I have a strong desire to make bowls and other items. My investment in lathe, chucks, tools, etc. is substantial and they are just setting there. Another friend has offered to tutor me but our schedules never seem to mesh. The bowl gouge is a 'touch and catch' thing, every time. Strange considering how I used it successfully a couple times and really made shavings fly. I know it's me but do not know how to correct the angle of the dangle or wangle to make it work again.
You are not out of line, your post is appropriate. We are here to share. The only thing you said I would criticize is that mods and administrators have no more right or authority to post opinions, controversial or otherwise, than anyone else. We are just members who stuck our necks out for a period of time. Please keep posting, your points of view are welcome.

Doug and Frank are both right. Bowl gouges are hard to use. But if you remember learning to drive, use a computer, play guitar...those were hard and seemingly insurmountable at the time. I have a Henry Taylor 1/2" that I scream with...on the outside of a bowl. I also have a real sharp 3/4" round nose scraper that I use on almost all my inside work. I practice my tail off hollowing out pine chunks. Some progress, but nothing dramatic. Skews are scary, but it was the only thing I was comfortable with being self-taught on pens and stoppers. I'm going to head to Utah next year for one of Craft Supply’s 5-day workshops. I want to break those self-taught habits and get a clue. It's been said on this forum and others a million times....practice practice, practice. I doubt I would have ever moved to lidded or salt boxes, or bigger better bowls had it not been for the experience you get on this (and other supportive) forum(s). Keep at it guys and cheers to those who push us to better our work!!! :thumb:

Keith I use pretty much a 1/2" V shape for the outside to shape and inside to hog. My last few cuts on the inside are with a 1/2" U shape that has a freshly sharpened edge. Either would serve you well.

I agree with what Doug is saying. Myself I love my skews. I got both of Lacers and Raffans big one. Bottle stoppers, pens, or anything spindle I only use a skew and no other tool touches the piece. Bowl gouges are one of the simplest tools to master. That is just me. Myself I don't see a need to use a scraper inside a bowl. Again that is just me and have never needed to.

Richard Raffan said at a demo one time. Turn with the tools learned with and what you are comfortable turning with. If it means you can turn a bowl with a scraper do so. If you can turn a spindle with a spindle gouge and wouldn't even think of using a skew or the other way around then do so. He said there are really many ways and many tools to turn wood with. If there wasn't we would have a couple of tools to buy and you probably would be a little richer.:rofl:

Thanks guys. I appreciate you reading my post as I intended it.

Frank, flute aimed in the direction of the cut and glide the bevel. Handle down below the tool rest and the cutting edge at the midline. I don't know what else to tell you. Not denying that the bowl gouge can cause some impressive catches. Seen it too often when teaching others. Truth be told, I've one or two myself. My experience, however, is that for me it was one of the easiest tools I've used. Others will have different experiences I'm sure, but I fell in love with the tool the first time I used it. I hope you can get your issue with it worked out so that you can turn the pieces you want to turn.

Thanks guys. I appreciate you reading my post as I intended it.

Frank, flute aimed in the direction of the cut and glide the bevel. Handle down below the tool rest and the cutting edge at the midline. I don't know what else to tell you. Not denying that the bowl gouge can cause some impressive catches. Seen it too often when teaching others. Truth be told, I've one or two myself. My experience, however, is that for me it was one of the easiest tools I've used. Others will have different experiences I'm sure, but I fell in love with the tool the first time I used it. I hope you can get your issue with it worked out so that you can turn the pieces you want to turn.

Thanks. I didn't buy my Griz EVS lathe to be a showpiece. I have a walnut practice bowl on it now. Will try to follow your instructions this afternoon and see what happens.
Green wood? Not likely to happen. Our most common woods here are oak and hickory. Both get cut up into firewood quickly and neither is, IMHO, a decent turning wood. Besides, I have tons (literally) of dry wood on hand waiting to be used for something. I'd love to turn up a bunch of maple platters.

Don't bother with either. Bowl gouges are impossible to use. ;)

Frank,
I watched Nick Cook do a demo at the local Woodcraft store work with a bowl gouge.. (which by the way I think is appropriately named.. I can gouge a bowl with the best of them, even if it's not what I'm trying to do.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D)

Anyway, I noticed his stance was to keep the handle in his right hand low, closer to the hip than at a level on the tool rest... he said (and I'm sure he lied to me - :D) that it was nearly impossible to get a catch this way.

Right now I'm working on a ration of about 40/60 with by bowl gouges... 40% I get fair to middling results... 60% I get crap. On shallow bowls, I'll still regularly revert to the 1/2 round nose scrape to hollow... I keep trying on the B.G. though... one day I'll figure it out.

Keith I use pretty much a 1/2" V shape for the outside to shape and inside to hog. My last few cuts on the inside are with a 1/2" U shape that has a freshly sharpened edge.

IMO - this is the best way to use both tools. Roll a bowl gouge over so the flute is at 1:30 or 2:00 o'clock.