Shop got picked up today...

Greg Cook

Only about 6 weeks till we head across the pond...so the movers came today for the 2nd time and picked up more stuff. A big part was taking my shop tools.

Bad pic, but my small shop...

Started tearing down to move

Tools in the truck. You can see my SCT drill press in the very back, my compressor on the left and my miter saw and planer on their Rigid MSUVs on the right side.

Sure is empty.

Well, now I have room for the garage sale items....:rolleyes:

I know I'm gonna need a tool real soon, and it's gonna be one that they hauled away today. :doh:

Last edited:
Yeah, my wife leaves next Sunday...so it will be just me and the 2 "kids" left to pack the rest...sell what I won't be taking...(a lot) and wrapping things up. I leave just before Christmas. We are trying to find a "large" older house to rent for a while once we arrive...and then try to find a place for all the boxes! :doh:A shop, more than an MFT and a Festool saw and some sanders, is not in picture for a while.

Woweewoowaa!

Moving across an Ocean? I moved from California to Nevada and it took me several trips with some big ole U-Hauls.

Can't even contemplate a Cross Ocean Move.

Good Luck Greg, and Hope to see you back in the shop shortly! :thumb:

Thanks, Brent...

This will be our 7th move back and forth....and it doesn't get easier, believe me! Hopefully this will be the last... We brought 372 cartons over the last time, and we're up to 166 so far now. Hope to keep it down to 200~225 when the last truck pulls out of the driveway next month.

Will be renting for a year or two, so a real shop won't be possible for a while. We need to get moved into our own place so I can add some double walls/insulation. We're also looking to move to the country side so we have a little more space between us than Stu and his Aparto NN....:eek: :rofl:

Pardon me for being nosy, but are where are your going to and where from? I must have missed it.

7 Times! Pardner, you've got some ambition going there.

Wowsers. I moved around a bit when I was younger, and as a pack rat, it wasn't pretty, but I always managed with one decent sized truck.

My wife and I moved to this place thinking / hoping its our last move... (No, we're not that old, just hermits who belong on a chunk of desert).

I admire the folks that like to move around, but I'm ready to try and grow some roots. I admire my cousins who still live in a 5 mile radius from the house they grew up in. That's a totally foreign lifestyle to me.

Brent,

From Seattle, WA area to Osaka Japan.

We've lived in 6 different places in the 32 years of marriage. I was born in central CA...left when I was 18 and have never been back...or wanted to. :rolleyes:

We usually can make the move in a 40' container...except for the car and boat I took the last time over...and the car I brought the last time back. :doh:We had about 10~15 boxes still unopened in our garage here from our move back in 1990 :eek: :dunno: :rofl:. We really cleaned house before this move, but could still use a bit more.

Norm, thanks... Yeah, I am not looking forwarding to paying the prices I know are going to be there. I do have a good friend that owns a mountain that has been in his family a long time..but it was included in a "national park system" recently. He can, however, cut trees on it for his own use. :rolleyes: :thumb:

Actually I do have a bandsaw...Delta 12"...that I'm selling.

I also have a Delta 14" at my neighbor's (long story) that I will either take with me, or try to sell it too and combine the funds for a Steel City 14" to take. :huh: I kept my TS55 plunge saw here to use for any "emergencies". :D

I wouldn't even want to think about moving again.
I wish I had a picture of us when we moved home from GA.

when we moved into this place I had to move my shop just 1/2 a mile. That was an all day adventure and packing was easy, everything went into big boxes on pallets and hauled em down here on a hay wagon. :D

Now if we had to move any distance theres the shop plus all the farm equipment, and Lord only knows what else.

Good luck Greg!

dang, now who is gonna ship Stu his stuff when he wants to buy over here.:dunno:

Hope you get moved safe and all your stuff makes it in one piece.

dang, now who is gonna ship Stu his stuff when he wants to buy over here.:dunno:

Yeah, that is what I was thinking:D

Greg and I will be on the same time zone, cool! :thumb:

Heck, I've threatened to go down there and help him with some renovations when he does get into a place, that would be FUN :wave:

I wouldn't even want to think about moving again. I wish I had a picture of us when we moved home from GA. When we moved into this place I had to move my shop just 1/2 a mile. That was an all day adventure and packing was easy, everything went into big boxes on pallets and hauled em down here on a hay wagon. :D

Now if we had to move any distance theres the shop plus all the farm equipment, and Lord only knows what else.

Good luck Greg!

Robert,

I may end up taking a few boxes at a time in a mini-van, when we finally get our own place. Till then, the transport company will unload everything, put into as many small room as will fit...and then I will have to make some kind of shelter, I'm sure.

Thanks!

Aaron, thanks...now who's gonna ship my stuff to me when Amazon has a real blowout sale??? :doh: :dunno::dunno:

:rofl:

have a safe trip greg! and enjoy either indesign or quark:) dont forget yur fish poles they got fish there too:D:thumb:

Larry,

I hear they need an ambassador at the Osaka consulate.... Interested? :eek:

:rofl::rofl:

Rods will get packed and in their cases in a week or so. Fishing might come before I make much sawdust... I think they are leaning towards InDesign, but I may be doing more with Word and Acrobat as well as some other database stuff... Glad email works across the pond....:thumb: :wave:

Yeah, that is what I was thinking:D
Greg and I will be on the same time zone, cool! :thumb:
Heck, I've threatened to go down there and help him with some renovations when he does get into a place, that would be FUN :wave:

Stu, same time zone, but I'll take my 60hz over your 50hz.....ppffffffttt! :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Once we're settled in, you and your gang will be welcome anytime. :wave:

Moved a few (20?) times myself, once cross country. I do not envy you! I hope everything goes smoothly.

Thanks, Rennie.

20! :eek: I'm hoping this will be one last until our final move to our "dream place" much further down south, on the southern island of Kyushu. However, that won't be for quite a few years down the road... And, who knows, before then we might find another area that looks even greener....:dunno:

Hi Greg :wave:,
So glad this time is closing in on you, it has been quite the process with all the renovations at your home in Seattle and then this big move!:doh:You kids are going to need several months to chill once you get over there.

Let me know when to come visit, I figure when I advertise "Trip to Greg's place" , I should get enough folks to sign up to get a free trip myself.

I figure 8 people at "12 days and 13 nights, free food" should get me free air at least.:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good luck with your progress and don't be a stranger :).

Shaz :)

8 people? :eek: I hope you all can sleep standing up.....:doh:

I have no idea where we are going to put all the boxes we are shipping, let alone have room to lie down to sleep....:dunno: We're up to 165 boxes so far, and I still have more to do.

But, when we are settled and have some room, you'll get the first invitation! :thumb:

4 days to bachelorhood....again!:doh::(

8 people? :eek: I hope you all can sleep standing up.....:doh:

I have no idea where we are going to put all the boxes we are shipping, let alone have room to lie down to sleep....:dunno: We're up to 165 boxes so far, and I still have more to do.

But, when we are settled and have some room, you'll get the first invitation! :thumb:

4 days to bachelorhood....again!:doh::(
Hi Greg:wave:,
Sorry to welcome you to the fold, Bachelorhood at last? Hope your Bride has a safe ride over.
As for you, you slacker now what? No tools! No Job? No wife? No problem! I have the answer, only $9.95.
Attach this headset like thing to the area of your temples and relax! Within minutes you will have your confidence restored, feel like ripping 4" boards on a 10" saw, be able to crosscut ipe with any jig saw at record speed. It will allow you to imagine lifting medium sized tractors with a brick like fulcrum and a titanium lever to the height of 23".:eek:

Sound good? Send money! Get product!:thumb:
Squashed cell phone with truck tail gate. Lost number, can't call.:dunno:
Take care and send money if you want a piece of Nirvana!:eek::rofl:
Shaz:)

here Im thinking youre moving to Europe, when you said across the pond, an expression I hear alot from east coasters when they travel or go to work overseas.

I hope all goes easy and smoothly.

I cant imagine having to move all the junk Ive collected over the past 30 years and having to pack or sell it.

Last edited: