Thread: Great Time, Good Experience....

Great Time, Good Experience....

...but little in the way of sales.

This past friday evening was the artist reception for my trunk show at Sticks West Glen Gallery. Lots of friends and family stopped by and I met some wonderful people as well. The other artists, Brad and Sundie Ruppert of Vintage Sculpture were wonderful and related their past experiences that gave me insight on where I want to be in the future. I spent Saturday at the gallery and talked to quite a few people that had never heard of or seen anything turned.

Below are some shots of my display at the gallery. I have left a number of pieces at the gallery for the next few weeks or until they are gone or I'm asked to take them back. One of my very good friends bought the oak bowl that has a red painted interior and ebonized rim. Only sale of the weekend...oh well there's always the next show.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I always like your work Jeff, you have a way of keeping it simple, a little "rustic" and "handsome" rather than "pretty".

Your very nice display is in keeping with the spirit of your work, thanks for sharing!

I'm thinking that your wares could be displayed better if they were a bit more spread out.

Perhaps it's just the camera's angle, but the display looks very tightly packed, and 'cluttered,' - not spaced widely enough to show individual pieces to advantage. A first time viewer may be overwhelmed by it all in such close quarters.

Of course, that's just my opinion - and I've been wrong before...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Congrats on the exposure, Jeff. I like the two-table display idea, although I do agree somewhat with Jim on the crowded display. (I'm guilty of the same...I tend to display everything, so when my inventory is up the tables are crowded.)

Good luck on the sales.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    I always like your work Jeff, you have a way of keeping it simple, a little "rustic" and "handsome" rather than "pretty".

Your very nice display is in keeping with the spirit of your work, thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I'm thinking that your wares could be displayed better if they were a bit more spread out.

Perhaps it's just the camera's angle, but the display looks very tightly packed, and 'cluttered,' - not spaced widely enough to show individual pieces to advantage. A first time viewer may be overwhelmed by it all in such close quarters.

Of course, that's just my opinion - and I've been wrong before...
    Frank, thanks for the very kind words! I really like your description, "Rustic Handsome "

Jim and Vaughn, I thought the same as I was setting up. The retail manager of the store did the display. When I left, I took many of the items and created some space on the table.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff,
    I am of the same concensus as Vaughn and Jim, you display does look a little crowded... a good layout though with the two tables... I like your work at lot but even with the collage, I had trouble seeing all your fine work. And I'm like Vaughn, I want to show everything I have. I've sorta solved the problem with a shelving unit of 3 or 4 shelves (depending on how I arrange them) that I sit on one of my tables so I can have bowls at different levels...

At a show I did in October, there was another wood turner there who turned more in your style, than in mine... I tend to try to refine my pieces more, his were more rustic and in some cases more artistic than mine. It wasn't a great show for either of us, but I think he did better than me.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Oh man, to have that many bowls turned by me at one time . Holy cow, my life's turning might not approach that number of bowls . I understand where Vaughn is coming from, but personally, I would prefer to shop in your stand just because it fits my personality and more of my preferences in what I purchase and the way I purchase. (that in itself might cause you to rethink and redesign your stand!!!!!)
    Your display brings to my mind more utilitarian/useful/using type bowls more than the artsy put on a shelf for display type bowl. (which there is nothing wrong with them, I just haven't gotten around to building shelves or having the money to buy art!!!!)
    They look excellent.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Congrats Jeff. Good luck on your sales.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great display Jeff.

My somewhat limited work tends toward more "thin wall" items but having seen what good quality "rustic, handsome" looks like I will be experimenting some more along those lines.

I guess it just shows that good work in whatever style always stands out.

Regards,

Mike C