Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: "Mark as Read"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417

    "Mark as Read"

    Is there a spot to mark as read certain "sections" of the forums? Like anything under Off Topic Area, is there a way to mark just those sub-categories?
    Rise above the rest

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    Aaron, I've not been able to find a way to use the "Mark as Read" option on individual subforums. I think the option is global...it marks all of the threads.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Aaron, I've not been able to find a way to use the "Mark as Read" option on individual subforums. I think the option is global...it marks all of the threads.

    For individual sub forums you can go under forum tools and mark that particular one 'read', but you have to do that for each sub forum. Just looking for something that would do each sub fourm under a particular group. Just lazy I guess. Thanks for looking
    Rise above the rest

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    For individual sub forums you can go under forum tools and mark that particular one 'read', but you have to do that for each sub forum. Just looking for something that would do each sub fourm under a particular group. Just lazy I guess. Thanks for looking
    Ah, I forgot about the Forum Tools. I was looking at the Quick Links.

    One minor gripe I have about vBulletin is that the controls are scattered all over the place.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Villa Park, CA
    Posts
    1,407
    This may not be the answer to your question, but if you double click on the icon at the far left on a particular forum (like "Off Topic") it will mark all the threads in "Off Topic" as read. The problem is that they still appear when you do a "New posts" - they're just not highlighted.

    What I want is some way to permanently remove certain forums from my "New Posts". That is, perhaps I have no interest in laser work, or CNC work (if we had those forums). I'd like to mark those forums as "ignore" and not have the messages in them appear when I click on "New Posts".

    Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This may not be the answer to your question, but if you double click on the icon at the far left on a particular forum (like "Off Topic") it will mark all the threads in "Off Topic" as read. The problem is that they still appear when you do a "New posts" - they're just not highlighted.

    Mike
    I don't use the 'new post' button so what you are saying would work, but when I click or double click on a heading only thing it does is bring up that sub forum only.

    Example:If I move my mouse over 'off topic' it turns yellow, when I click on it, it opens the off topic section only. It wont let me double click.
    Rise above the rest

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokyo Japan
    Posts
    15,808
    Mike, I think we looked at that at some point, it is possible, but it is a serious hack to the software, which would then cause a lot of trouble down the road when the software gets updated, as it does several times a year.

    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Villa Park, CA
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    I don't use the 'new post' button so what you are saying would work, but when I click or double click on a heading only thing it does is bring up that sub forum only.

    Example:If I move my mouse over 'off topic' it turns yellow, when I click on it, it opens the off topic section only. It wont let me double click.
    There's an icon to the left of the forum name, in a separate column. It looks like a bulletin board with some papers tacked to it. Double click on that.

    Note that you only see this at the top level screen - the one that shows all the forums.

    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-12-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    There's an icon to the left of the forum name, in a separate column. It looks like a bulletin board with some papers tacked to it. Double click on that.

    Note that you only see this at the top level screen - the one that shows all the forums.

    Mike

    ohh, I see it now, that is a little quicker at least I don't have to open up each sub forum, thanks
    Rise above the rest

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    Well, I'm shocked...shocked, I say, that anyone would not want to read and savor every single post on every single forum. Why, I even print out each post separately so it can go into my Family Woodworking scrapbook.









    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

Similar Threads

  1. SIMPLE JIG! turns a "bowl" on "tablesaw"!
    By steve kelly in forum Carving
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2015, 03:21 PM
  2. "Crime Doesn't Pay" or "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" ?
    By hu lowery in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
  3. Thompson "V" Versus "U" Bowl Gouges
    By Mike Turner in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 01:46 AM
  4. How to mark new posts as "read"
    By Toni Ciuraneta in forum Site Questions and Test Posts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
  5. Triangle - "Copy" and "Paste"
    By Niki Avrahami in forum Jigs and Fixtures
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •