This just annoys me

Robert,

I got home tonight and the neighbor was putting her lights up. I think I just took mine down a couple months ago, should of just left them out.:rofl::rofl:

Randy

I don't know. I was driving through a foreclosed section of town with lots of old 'for sale' signs yesterday, and I noticed a pretty impressive christmas display. I thought of that old Charles Simic poem:

"We were so poor I had to take the place of the bait in the mousetrap. All alone in the cellar, I could hear them pacing upstairs, tossing and turning in their beds. ''These are dark and evil days,'' the mouse told me as he nibbled my ear."

They are indeed. Anything that brings some cheer gets a thumbs up in my book right now... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I sure understand the excitement of the season, but man, there is a full season between yet, have the forgot thanksgiving? They are really ahead of it:doh: Seen alot of lights tonight here also. Besides I'm not ready yet, LOTS of wood to cut and piece together yet :p

WalMart, Lowe's, HD, Target, KMart, and other big-box retailers have had their Christmas decorations out for sale since before Halloween!!!! Ridiculous. Two of our local radio stations have already started playing Christmas carols, twice an hour they play a "classic" song. Is Feliz Navidad a "classic"? I don't think so. Anyway, I can recall the day when no one--ever--put up any decorations until the day after Thanksgiving--not the stores, not the neighbors, NO ONE!!! It makes me sick that our holidays have become the be-all and end-all for retailers to sell their stuff---Halloween stuff went on sale at the end of July!!!

The Borgs, both colors, started setting up their Christmas displays by the end of September here. I couldn't believe it. There should be some good deals this year though, with the economy in the dumps like it is.
My Mom would play Christmas music all year long. We finally convinced her that it wasn't permissible. Not until the day after Thanksgiving, and had to quit New Year's Day. She finally complied. :rolleyes: Jim.

And new years day they came down, The commercialization of Christmas has completely turned me off on the holidays anymore. Which means I won't be in any of the big box stores till after new years.

I am a retailer.(and now Ill be a very unliked one)

Retailers didnt commercialize any holidays, Christmas in particular.

The consumers did.

As things change, so did retail.

Consumers want to shop for Xmas in July, since they have a "BIG" list and want to buy a little each month.

Im doing my holiday window, even though its small, this weekend.

Liability insurance is up beyond belief, taxes are ridiculous for todays retailer, salaries dont go down, and health insurance will soon be untouchable for most Americans.

I hope everyone has a beautiful, healthy, prosperous and safe holiday season.

Nancy, I remember when I started in retail over 30 years ago. Never did we put up or display any Xmas merchandise before the weekend after Thanksgiving. I used to sell alot of colognes, and the big companies forbid you to put their displays for Xmas out before certain dates. Not anymore. I also remember I used to work till 8 pm and go out to dinner after work in the same neighborhood I worked. Now I have to close early and I never go to work without my firearm, (licensed ofcourse)
Things have just really changed, and I dont think any of its been that good.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving isn't even here yet, and one of my neighbors has a yard full (and its a big yard) of Christmas decorations up all ready. :doh:

Just makes me want to scream

one of the homes near me, someone I know, put up orange lights all over his bushes for halloween, took down the halloween ghouls and witches, put a bunch of blowup turkeys and such on his lawn, but left the orange lights in place. Im quite sure hell leave them through xmas, maybe add some, through new years, and probably into mid to end January.
I guess they dont cost that much to light up each night.

WalMart, Lowe's, HD, Target, KMart, and other big-box retailers have had their Christmas decorations out for sale since before Halloween!!!! Ridiculous. Two of our local radio stations have already started playing Christmas carols, twice an hour they play a "classic" song. Is Feliz Navidad a "classic"? I don't think so. Anyway, I can recall the day when no one--ever--put up any decorations until the day after Thanksgiving--not the stores, not the neighbors, NO ONE!!! It makes me sick that our holidays have become the be-all and end-all for retailers to sell their stuff---Halloween stuff went on sale at the end of July!!!

Nancy, Feliz Navidad makes me cringe!

I was in the local borg just before halloween, and just cringed when I saw they were putting up the Christmas Decorations.

Well, to each there own, I guess. I know the retailers are probably in a hard spot this year, so when I go to the stores, I'll just try and ignore the stuff until I'm ready to buy it.

Hmm, Guess I need to go to walmart tommorrow and try and find some of those shiny balls to make some 'custom' wood turned ornaments! :thumb:

That's why I decided to make Christmas presents this year. Got tired of hearing "what are you going to BUY for Christmas", or "lets go Christmas shopping". The true spirit of Christmas is in your heart, not your wallet.

Suspect the economy's in part to blame for any extra-early retail displays. Costumes andaccessories were 60% off in Target the Monday before Halloween this year...

As for me, I keep twinkle lights up year round and love Christmas carols, including "Feliz Navidad." Anything that makes people be nicer to each other, even for one day, is fine by me. Bill's email about the dismal foreclosure climate around here really brought that one home. We really need something to lift the spirit.

--MJ :)

Ahh, Yess, the light question.

I'm more of a C7 (Big Bulb) outdoor kind of guy, but then it's a long way from the house to the road..... Probably need to get those set up soon. I mean, after all, it's almost Thanksgiving for crying out loud...

Feliz Navidad ! ohh please! :doh:

Now... These where classics to me! :thumb:
Bing Crosby "White Christmas"
Nat King Cole - the christmas song
A Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives
Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Christmas Song
Well ....maybe not Alvin and the Chipmunks. :p

Guess I am showing my age ...Huh!

Scratch.... Scratch ...Scratch .... :rofl:

Last edited:
spirit???

well i do see bills opinion on the brighter look to things these days,, but ti was from the old school and am pretty much a bah hum bug guy,, to many bad memories from past xmas times... i also think that the original idea of thoughts and gifts from with in are far more tangeable than the toy that is on the top ten list or the doll that i just have to have... yes i have been lucky and so far my home isnt in foreclosure. and i hope i can stay afloat threw this next decade... but the best gift i have received for the holidays in very long time was a set of pictures which is on my shop wall, of me and my helpers building the shop.. my dad , my brother who i almost lost, last fall and my daughter and her hubby and the others that helped.. it made this ole crusty guy crumble.. so the holidays arent pretty lights, they are the family gettin together and doing things as thou they love one another and forgettin about who got what and how much do we spend.. i got a wooden ornament from a farm boy a year so ago and that is still displayed and remebered each time i se it...

I usually wait till the Friday after Thanksgiving to put up my lights (I like the large C9 old fashioned bulbs) red and green only, around the perimeter of the house. No huge flash for me. My lights remind me of my childhood. Don't much care what they do for others!. I may put them up a little earlier this year only to avoid freezing my digits. However, they won't be turned on till after TG!

And, yes, the large retailers around here had Holloween in one aisle and Christmas in the next.

Billy Idol!? ewe. ;)

And as for folks putting up (and lighting up) Christmas lights the day after Hallowe'en I say...
beck-humbug.jpg

On Saturday I was out running an errand, and since I was out solo, I thought I'd stop in at the store and pick up one or two things for our kids to stash away for Christmas...

Yes, I visited Toys-R-Us on a Saturday afternoon. Silly me, I thought that Nov 8 should be a safe time. Not. The parking lot was jammed. The muzak was constant Christmas carols. The store was packed, the Christmas decorations were everywhere. Bleah.

I remembered the story about how you never see happy kids in Toys-R-Us... (they're always unhappy because it's overwhelming and they want it all, and of course can't have it) ... and i realized that I wasn't happy either. :doh:

Oh well, happy avoid-the-stores-on-the-weekend season to all of you! :rofl:
...art

ps: Seems like almost all the good Lego sets are priced more than $50. That adds up when you have four kids... :(
p