Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This just annoys me

This just annoys me

Thanksgiving isn't even here yet, and one of my neighbors has a yard full (and its a big yard) of Christmas decorations up all ready.

Just makes me want to scream

Robert,

I got home tonight and the neighbor was putting her lights up. I think I just took mine down a couple months ago, should of just left them out.

Randy

I don't know. I was driving through a foreclosed section of town with lots of old 'for sale' signs yesterday, and I noticed a pretty impressive christmas display. I thought of that old Charles Simic poem:

"We were so poor I had to take the place of the bait in the mousetrap. All alone in the cellar, I could hear them pacing upstairs, tossing and turning in their beds. ''These are dark and evil days,'' the mouse told me as he nibbled my ear."

They are indeed. Anything that brings some cheer gets a thumbs up in my book right now...

Thanks,

Bill

I sure understand the excitement of the season, but man, there is a full season between yet, have the forgot thanksgiving? They are really ahead of it Seen alot of lights tonight here also. Besides I'm not ready yet, LOTS of wood to cut and piece together yet

WalMart, Lowe's, HD, Target, KMart, and other big-box retailers have had their Christmas decorations out for sale since before Halloween!!!! Ridiculous. Two of our local radio stations have already started playing Christmas carols, twice an hour they play a "classic" song. Is Feliz Navidad a "classic"? I don't think so. Anyway, I can recall the day when no one--ever--put up any decorations until the day after Thanksgiving--not the stores, not the neighbors, NO ONE!!! It makes me sick that our holidays have become the be-all and end-all for retailers to sell their stuff---Halloween stuff went on sale at the end of July!!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

The Borgs, both colors, started setting up their Christmas displays by the end of September here. I couldn't believe it. There should be some good deals this year though, with the economy in the dumps like it is.
    My Mom would play Christmas music all year long. We finally convinced her that it wasn't permissible. Not until the day after Thanksgiving, and had to quit New Year's Day. She finally complied. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

And new years day they came down, The commercialization of Christmas has completely turned me off on the holidays anymore. Which means I won't be in any of the big box stores till after new years.

I am a retailer.(and now Ill be a very unliked one)

Retailers didnt commercialize any holidays, Christmas in particular.

The consumers did.

As things change, so did retail.

Consumers want to shop for Xmas in July, since they have a "BIG" list and want to buy a little each month.

Im doing my holiday window, even though its small, this weekend.

Liability insurance is up beyond belief, taxes are ridiculous for todays retailer, salaries dont go down, and health insurance will soon be untouchable for most Americans.

I hope everyone has a beautiful, healthy, prosperous and safe holiday season.

Nancy, I remember when I started in retail over 30 years ago. Never did we put up or display any Xmas merchandise before the weekend after Thanksgiving. I used to sell alot of colognes, and the big companies forbid you to put their displays for Xmas out before certain dates. Not anymore. I also remember I used to work till 8 pm and go out to dinner after work in the same neighborhood I worked. Now I have to close early and I never go to work without my firearm, (licensed ofcourse)
    Things have just really changed, and I dont think any of its been that good.
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-13-2008 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    Thanksgiving isn't even here yet, and one of my neighbors has a yard full (and its a big yard) of Christmas decorations up all ready.

Just makes me want to scream
    one of the homes near me, someone I know, put up orange lights all over his bushes for halloween, took down the halloween ghouls and witches, put a bunch of blowup turkeys and such on his lawn, but left the orange lights in place. Im quite sure hell leave them through xmas, maybe add some, through new years, and probably into mid to end January.
    I guess they dont cost that much to light up each night.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    WalMart, Lowe's, HD, Target, KMart, and other big-box retailers have had their Christmas decorations out for sale since before Halloween!!!! Ridiculous. Two of our local radio stations have already started playing Christmas carols, twice an hour they play a "classic" song. Is Feliz Navidad a "classic"? I don't think so. Anyway, I can recall the day when no one--ever--put up any decorations until the day after Thanksgiving--not the stores, not the neighbors, NO ONE!!! It makes me sick that our holidays have become the be-all and end-all for retailers to sell their stuff---Halloween stuff went on sale at the end of July!!!
    Nancy, Feliz Navidad makes me cringe!