Poor man's C1a

So, when do you go to market?

Rennie, not going to sell. If I were, I wouldn't have revealed sources and cost and would offer without handle for about $20.00. Plus, I wouldn't have posted in this forum. Don't wanna get zapped by them mean ole moderators. ;)

Actually, this is such an inexpensive and simple project (Hey! I did it. :eek: ) that I don't think there would be much of a market once the word got out. Any old hunk of steel would work and most guys have a drill of some kind. Only specialized tool needed is the metric tap.

Rennie, not going to sell. If I were, I wouldn't have revealed sources and cost and would offer without handle for about $20.00. Plus, I wouldn't have posted in this forum. Don't wanna get zapped by them mean ole moderators. ;)
Of course my remark was tongue in cheek. :p Never the less, sometimes this is how empires are founded!:rofl:

Speaking of which, Bill Gates show up yet?:D

Rennie,

Thanks for the link. But the closest one to DC is in New Jersey... ;)

I clearly run with the wrong crowd... ;)

Thanks,

Bill
Bill there is probably 50 places within 10 miles of the beltway to pick this up. Potomac metals is one place that comes to mind. But steel sales are common around the Baltimore/DC area. Search for and join the CAMS list for a couple of days and ask there. Or I can ask for you and get back to you.. However mail order may be cheaper than gad. I suggust
Enco
MSC
McMaster Carr
As good places to learn about as they not only have metals but also mant tools and screws/ hardware ect.

For Metal only
Metal Supermarkets
Speedy Metals
On Line metals

Or look in you area for welding shops call and ask. Know what its worth as they may be very reasonable or think they are hooking a big one.

For fast service McMaster Carr is hard to beat. Usually here in SOuth East, Pa next day if I order before 5 pm at UPS ground shipping. Should be to you in two days...
Garry

This was requested on another forum, rather than waste a photo, I'll post here also.
I made a handle for my poor man's tool from a scrap hunk of hard figured maple. The ferrule is a 3/4" copper coupling that added almost $1.00 to the total cost of the tool.
I spent a few minutes on the grinder rounding the square stock before pounding into the handle.
Overall length is 20" with 9" of steel shaft. Might be a bit long for some folks tastes but was easy to get used to.

Attachments

• tool with handle.jpg
    tool with handle.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 57
....I made a handle for my poor man's tool from a scrap hunk of hard figured maple. The ferrule is a 3/4" copper coupling that added almost $1.00 to the total cost of the tool.

WOW that makes the total $7.50....some people are just made of money.;):D

That handle has some incredible figure to it. Very nice. :thumb:

Frank,
You just mentioned the screws in passing... can you be more specific as to size, cat#, etc....

Good name for it when you market it.... Fusco KoolTool

Here, and other forums, this tool has attracted a lot more interest than I ever anticipated. I guess I'm not the only person interested in saving money. e.g. $100.00 vs about $6.00 or $7.00. ;)
Enneyhow, the screws are a repair/replacement part from Grizzly for one of the big planers that use the cutters.
They are: PFH35M Flat Head Torx T20 M6-1 x 15

Other flat heads would probably work but it has been recommended to me that one stay with high strength screws.

Thanks, can't do it until after the holidays, but definitely going to look into making one of those.. I've seen several reviews about the tool, the real one that is, it looks promising.

I definitely like $7.50 better then $100... I have the same problem with my wallet as mention in the thread starter... that and my wife won't let me have any money. She even keeps the Lowe's credit card. Mean ain't she.:D:D:D:rolleyes: