I am in Trouble!

Roger Martin

Not sure this is the best forum, but I have a problem. Couple of months ago LOML decided to buy a lovely table to replace our hundred-year-old oak one so all the family could be seated at one time. Said the new table is oak, but not sure. Anyway, yesterday I accidentally dropped a jar of jelly at breakfast and the corner of the jar made a small dent (half inch or less wide and about eighth inch deep) in the table top. Of course she saw the dent first thing and explained to me the lack of my ability to hold on to things caused her a great deal of anguish! The question now is: is there a way to remove the dent without ruining the table finish. Since I didn't apply the finish, I have no idea what it is (high gloss) and am very reluctant to try anything for fear of digging a deeper hole. Any suggestions from all you fellas knowledge? Got to go back to work so probably won't be able to check this until tomorrow.

The only experience i have with removing small dents involved a clothes iron, a bottle cap, and a damp rag. You place the rag over the dented area, set the bottle cap over that with the solid side up, and set the hot iron on the bottle cap until the water in the rag under the cap steams up for a while. It swells the wood fibers and helps things back to their normal shape. It works better in some woods than in others. Open cell wood works better than closed cell wood, so red oak should theoretically work better than white oak.
Of course, the finish gets ruined and would require a spot repair. Since you don't know what the finish is, this could be problematic. Water based poly is just about impossible to spot repair. If there's stain involved, if the stain is applied over a seal coat instead of directly on the wood, you could be getting into some murky waters.
Other than that, i don't know what to suggest, other than a strategically located place mat.
good luck with it.
Paul Hubbman

The only experience i have with removing small dents involved a clothes iron, a bottle cap, and a damp rag. You place the rag over the dented area, set the bottle cap over that with the solid side up, and set the hot iron on the bottle cap until the water in the rag under the cap steams up for a while. It swells the wood fibers and helps things back to their normal shape.
Paul beat me to it, but - if Paul will allow - one minor note. I think Paul is talking about a metal bottle cap. (think barley pop). There are so many plastic bottle caps around I just thought I might clarify. Not for you!:D But you never know who might read this post down the road.:eek::rofl:

"you could be getting into some murky waters."

What Paul said! If she's mad now, just wait till there's a big blotchy spot of mismatched finish! ;)

Personally, I think I'd swallow my pride, submit to the one time verbal storm, and live with the dent! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

i will second bills reply,,full heartedly.. i had a table that wasnt specail just an eatun spot that she wanted refinished, i did just that and the first thing she said was i didnt do it right,,,there was a area where the wood veneer was lighter colored form the way the light hit it form the other direction it looked the same but i caught the wrath just the same turned the table around showed her error in judgment and got another dose!!! so if you can get out of this with just one dose your lucky..:D the hidden troubles your lookun at in the dent isnt worht the headache at all....:):thumb:

Dents add "Character".

The kind of character your descendants will love in the table, even if your wife doesn't.

But seriously, you have to make up a better story than dropping a jelly jar...

It should include drama and suspense, and perhaps a bit of danger....

"you could be getting into some murky waters."

What Paul said! If she's mad now, just wait till there's a big blotchy spot of mismatched finish! ;)

Personally, I think I'd swallow my pride, submit to the one time verbal storm, and live with the dent! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Best be careful or you'll be asking how to get dents out of yourself!

form the other direction it looked the same but i caught the wrath just the same turned the table around showed her error in judgment and got another dose!!! ....:):thumb:

Not one of the smartest moves you ever made, eh? :)

Trying to fix that dent could open a whole other can of worms. I'm with Bill, take the heat one time and live to fight another day, or some old saying like that.

What a great deal of wisdom is exhibited on this site!! Yes, I am thinking that the best solution is to leave it alone and put my jelly on toast in the kitchen next time! I was concerned that my "fix" would end up much worse that the problem since there are so many unknowns on a commercially built table. Think I will just go down to the shop and plane some boards for a friend tonight and call it good. I can always make another mistake tomorrow, and, after nearly 40 years together, I have made many of them where she is concerned. But she still keeps me... for now, anyway.:thumb:

Heck, you just started "antiqueing" (sp?) it!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Question I was thinking, what did you do with the old table???? :dunno::dunno:

Naw, we have been buying antiques for a long time. Fixing them was most of my woodworking for a long time. Just got too many in family now with kids and in-laws and grandchild to all fit on old table. It and the chairs are in storage until the economy gets a little better and we can sell them for the right price. Kind of slow selling in the antique market here.

What a great deal of wisdom is exhibited on this site!! Yes, I am thinking that the best solution is to leave it alone and put my jelly on toast in the kitchen next time! I was concerned that my "fix" would end up much worse that the problem since there are so many unknowns on a commercially built table. Think I will just go down to the shop and plane some boards for a friend tonight and call it good. I can always make another mistake tomorrow, and, after nearly 40 years together, I have made many of them where she is concerned. But she still keeps me... for now, anyway.:thumb:

ifun yu have been with her for forty years why on earth are you asking us youguns what to do you are a graduate with a masters degree compared to most here in the form:D:rofl: