K2WoodShop Latest Sketchup Designs

Keith Krueger

The desk is built and sitting in the shop waiting for finish to cure and for my Granddaughter to select handles. The SU file does not include the loose tenon joints as I have a shop built fixture (built on an old ShopSmith) that makes mortises with a center location and preset height and depth adjustment. So I find that I can add this detail to parts after cutting to finish size with many dimensions.

The media center is my next project and it will be built of Ash with the top and trim stained dark like a design in a magazine last year. This also lacks the mortise details and the slots for the 1/4 in panel. I find these are easy to keep track of in the shop as I detail the parts.

Note: I had to zip the files as they were slightly over the 150 limit
View attachment Desk.zip

View attachment MediaCenter.zip

MediaCenter.jpg

Sarah_Desk1.jpg

Keith, these look pretty good.

Being the mean old SketchUp teacher that is driving you hard, two things on the media center. Why do you have a Layer 0 scene? It doesn't do anything. There is a face missing from the bottom molding component on the ends of the cabinet.

And on the desk: Why are the faces on the bottom of the bottom rails reversed?

;)

Last edited:
Dave

I also found the missing face on the molding and fixed that.

The layer 0 scene is a convience for me as the way I use sketchup. As I make separate layers for each part somtimes I have a lot of layers visible and I only want to look at one part it seems easier to me to press Scene 0 then make a single layer visible. (yes I do know that on the layer manager I can select affect all) I now find that I start a new drawing with empty layers 01 thru 20 and then as I make parts I revise the layer names to match the parts. I draw most of my parts with the box script which makes them a component and then rotate and move in place. ( I have found a neet script that makes rotating parts much easier for me than the SU rotate tool.) As the model gets more complete I do draw some parts in place but not to often.

I did not notice the reversed faces on the bottom rails in the desk.

Thanks Dave for looking at the models and your comments. As this is a way for me to keep learning SU.

Keith

Dave I have a question about follow me and individual parts in SU?

On the media center the bottom molding was made by making a section then using follow me to wrap around the base. This was easy and looks good on the model but I wanted to make separate parts so they would show up in the cutlist. I had a hard time breaking the molding into separate mitered pieces.

How would you do this? Or should I just not bother? Might be a tutorial that others also would benifit from?

Keith

Thanks Dave. Pretty impressive to have you make a video showing the technique. I have followed some of your tutorials in the past, but the video also helps a lot.

Dave thanks for the sample of working with follow me trim.

After a few tries the last 2 times it went smooth.

I found for me it was easier if I did not make the complete trim a component but started with adding the lines to break the trim into its parts. Also I used the wireframe &/or xray view to add the lines when I tried a more complicated shape.

Keith