Fund Raiser Raffle - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Stuart Ablett

Members, we are in need of some funds to run this place. We are fairly certain that we could just ask for some donations, and the funds needed would soon be donated. But, we have decided to hold a raffle instead. We are raffling off a $100 Gift Card to Lee Valley Tools, just in time for Christmas! (Forum staff are not eligible for the raffle...darn!) This gift card has been donated by Rob Lee, of Lee Valley Tools. Many thanks go out to Rob for his generosity.

To enter the raffle you must be a member of this site, and you must donate $5 (or more) between now and December 1, 2008. For each $5 donated, your name will be entered once into the drawing. Donate $10, you're in twice, $15 is three entries, and so on. On or about December 2, a name will be drawn randomly and the winner will be announced.

What we are paying:

Bluehost $95.40
vBulletin $40.00
Domain Reg $20.00
================
Total $155.40

Existing Funds $99.42
================
Grand Total $55.98 <<- This is the amount we need to raise to run the site for another year. :thumb: Any amounts over that will go into the Forum account and will be used towards future operating expenses.

Some details:

Bluehost is the web hosting service we use.

vBulletin is the upgrade fee for the software, we bought the software last year, and now we pay a yearly licensing fee, for security updates etc.

Domain Registration is for keeping familywoodworking.org, familywoodworking.com and familywoodworking.net so no one else can use those domains.

Our preferred method for entries is through PayPal. Simply send $5.00 (or multiples of $5.00 for multiple entries) to:

donations@familywoodworking.org

Be sure to include your name in the Notes box on the PayPal page, so we know what name to put into the drawing.

If you absolutely can't use PayPal, we will also accept personal checks and money orders. Send an e-mail message to webmaster@familywoodworking.org if you'd like to enter the raffle with a check or money order, and we'll send you a mailing address where you can send your entry.

Please step up and buy your raffle tickets!

Thanks!

The Family Woodworking Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to mention that I am acting as the clearinghouse for mail-in entries. Since Family Woodworking does not have a real bank account, any checks or money orders should be made out to me. I will deposit them into my personal account, and move the funds electronically into the forum PayPal account. (The forum PayPal account is linked to one of my personal bank accounts.) Since they are copied on all Webmaster correspondence, the other Admins will act as monitors to verify that I transfer the funds appropriately. :)

Thanks for understanding, and good luck to all the entrants!

I will donate but I do have a question.

Has it been brought up to have a sponser like Lee Valley that gives kickbacks to the site if you click on their link and purchase through it. I am not saying its a banner on every page of the site, maybe just the first page, something on the bottom out of the way. Just wondering if its been mentioned. Again not a obtrusive sponsor banner that on every page and every thread like some sites. Just curious

I will donate but I do have a question.

Has it been brought up to have a sponser like Lee Valley that gives kickbacks to the site if you click on their link and purchase through it. I am not saying its a banner on every page of the site, maybe just the first page, something on the bottom out of the way. Just wondering if its been mentioned. Again not a obtrusive sponsor banner that on every page and every thread like some sites. Just curious

aaron,
one of the main reasons for setting up fww was to avoid advertisers...there are several here who would gladly foot the bill for the year solo instead of accepting any type of advertising.
i happen to be of the mindset that hopes fww can always be self sufficient and at an operating cost of less than 2bills a year there`s no reason it can`t.

Aaron, a very good question, and as Tod says, one of the basic precepts we wanted here when we set this place up was to be independent.

In fact, we did not solicit Rob Lee for the gift card, we were going to buy it out of the proceeds and while I was discussing the ins and outs of doing so, Rob just offered the card to support the site, not as any kind of advertising.

As you can see, we operate this place on the cheap, yearly $155.40, can't do it much cheaper than that :D

I'm very confident that we will be able to fund Family Woodworking for a few years to come from this one raffle.

I would much rather NOT have to be constantly asking members to donate.

Cheers! :wave:

Good background information, thank you. I have learned so much from this site that a few dollars for a raffle ticket is a real bargain. The price of a magazine subscription, a hands-on class, or a woodworking book are far higher than the raffle ticket.

Learning Jig making to save the cost of a store bought ~ $$$
Learning proper turning tool techniques ~ $$$
Learning the proper use of hand tools ~ $$$
Learning the proper selection of wood ~ $$$
Building friendships and sharing the fruits of one's labor ~ Priceless

Last edited:
Tod, Stu that sounds good. Donation will be on its way when I can get to my home computer.

**Edit** Sent now

Last edited:
(Not me. I know lotteries are a tax on those bad at math...;) )

Hehehehe - you're just waaayy too polite Art. A guy I worked for in the early eighties said that lotteries were a "tax on idiots":eek:. He'd tell me that and then hand me a couple of bucks to get him tickets while I was getting mine:doh: I still buy them, but I don't smoke and I don't golf...

cheers eh?

Fund Raiser Raffle

Done,

and many thanks for this great forum. I have made many friends and learned more than I could have imagined. Hope I have contributed a little of my experiences to help others too.

Keep up the good work people.

Aloha, Tony