Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SoCal Fire Season, Again

SoCal Fire Season, Again

Well, it looks like the Santa Barbara fire a few days ago was just the warmup. Dunno if it's made the national news, but we've got fires all over the place out here again. The closest one, the Sayre fire in Sylmar, has taken out over 600 homes last I heard (most of them in a mobile home park). Sylmar is about 8 miles from our place, so it's not an immediate danger, but with the winds and the dry heat we've had lately, any of the foothill areas (including our neighborhood on the edge of the National Forest) are on alert for evacuation. (They've evacuated 10,000 people in Sylmar.) LOML and I have already discussed what we'd need to grab if we have to get out in a hurry.

Here's a fire map of the Sayre fire. Scroll a little to the east, and we're about where the map shows Sunland to be. We're in the mouth of the canyon just north of the Sunland dot on the map.

Interesting times, for sure.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Well, it looks like the Santa Barbara fire a few days ago was just the warmup. Dunno if it's made the national news, but we've got fires all over the place out here again. The closest one, the Sayre fire in Sylmar, has taken out over 600 homes last I heard (most of them in a mobile home park). Sylmar is about 8 miles from our place, so it's not an immediate danger, but with the winds and the dry heat we've had lately, any of the foothill areas (including our neighborhood on the edge of the National Forest) are on alert for evacuation. (They've evacuated 10,000 people in Sylmar.) LOML and I have already discussed what we'd need to grab if we have to get out in a hurry.

Here's a fire map of the Sayre fire. Scroll a little to the east, and we're about where the map shows Sunland to be. We're in the mouth of the canyon just north of the Sunland dot on the map.

Interesting times, for sure.
    Boy it sounds like it's that time of the year again to mow and cut all the grass & vegetation back away from your house as far as you can to get rid of as much as you can that would burn. (I know it's not a guarantee, but might keep the house from catching fire if it gets to your area). I'll get my "Vibe Generator" going to see if we can keep those fires going the other way.

Good vibes being generated from Maine and gaining momentum as members pass them along on their way to you Vaughn.

Interestingly enough, I doubt you could get a refinery to catch on fire here. Rain for weeks it seems and no end in sight. As I type this, a gale warning is up and the winds are blowing at 50 mph with a torrential downpour. If you want some Vaughn you can have all the moisture you want.

Edit: For what it is worth, I was on the fire dept for several years here and I must say, fire sucks. I learned through observation that it does not matter if you are rich or poor, you lose everything when you have a fire. My post above was meant to be silly, but it should be noted that fire is serious, with serious consequences. Just keep in mind, what is taken by fire can mostly be replaced...people cannot. Best wishes to the firefighters and homeowners.
    Last edited by Travis Johnson; 11-16-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Boy it sounds like it's that time of the year again to mow and cut all the grass & vegetation back away from your house as far as you can to get rid of as much as you can that would burn.
    That was all done last summer. The LA City Fire Department is pretty vigilant about citing homeowners who don't comply with the brush-clearing regulations. Our immediate neighborhood is clean in that regard, but we're also on the edge of untrimmed wildlands. (And the neighborhood has a variety of pine and eucalyptus trees.)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    Good vibes being generated from Maine and gaining momentum as members pass them along on their way to you Vaughn.
    Just keep in mind, what is taken by fire can mostly be replaced...people cannot. Best wishes to the firefighters and homeowners.
    Thanks for the vibes guys, and Travis, you're right about replacing stuff vs. people. Its always amazing to watch the guys who are fighting these fires. On the local TV news Saturday afternoon I was watching a cop (in short sleeves) slipping and sliding on the tile roof of a house with his gas mask and a garden hose, trying to keep the fully-involved fire next door from jumping over. Never did see if he was able to save it or not.

workingwoods.com

That's really tough. I know it's home but still wonder why folks live where this happens repeatedly.

I saw this on the news today, and wondered how you are doing.

Make up a kit of stuff to take, as fire can move real fast, 8 miles is, unfortunately, not very far.

A few years back, in my home town, the whole town was just about surrounded with fire, lost a lot of homes, no lives, thank goodness, but lots of homes and such. At the time, the local government had a by-law restricting the cutting of trees and such on one's property, the fire situation was bad. Most of the homes that did NOT burn in the worst areas, were the homes that the owner ignored the by-laws, some even go charged and paid fines, but they cut the brush and trees back from their houses. The by-law was soon removed.

Good vibes coming from a wet and cool Tokyo!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

My cousin lives in a fire prone area outside LA but she has brush cut off to a substantial distance from her house. Last year everything around her burned but her place was OK. Still scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    That's really tough. I know it's home but still wonder why folks live where this happens repeatedly.
    I think that a lot of people don't realize this is a big state...even the southern part is bigger than a lot of entire states. (And definitely more densely populated, which is a whole other problem.) A lot of the places being hit with this series of fires are not the places where it repeatedly happens. Indeed there are some areas that are at higher risk (like ours) than others, but the chance of being hit by a large-scale disaster here is about the same as places that are prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards.

I know you're not insinuating it at all in your post, but I've seen other discussions on the net tonight where people were having a hard time feeling bad for all the "rich people in California", not realizing that the national news is only sensationalizing the lost mansions, and not saying much about the lower- and middle-income people who are affected by these things. Sylmar, for example, is definitely not the land of the rich and famous. (At the Home Depot there -- where I shop -- most of the intercom announcements are in Spanish.) The 500 mobile homes (prefab homes, actually) that were lost in Sylmar Saturday morning were homes to lower-income and retired folks. By the way, I just saw on the news that they've arrested five suspects in the mobile home fire.

Stu, just before I read your comment I was thinking about the "assembled kit" idea. We've already got earthquake stashes, but they could stand to be better organized. Thanks for the reminder.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn buddy,
    stay safe, and do get that bugout kit together!
    -Ned

Yesterday, we have had some rolling electrical blackouts and major traffic jams due to the fires. But those are minor inconveniences compared to what folks are going through in the areas that are burning.

Vaughn, stay safe.