Lower grade walnut = beautiful rocker

Bryan Cowing

The lower grades of walnut has a lot more nasty knots, sapwood, but has some wild grain that really makes this chair look good! This kid size rocker is the last of 4 I started back last January :eek: when I turned enough legs to do them all. I am just a bit tardy :D getting the last two put together. The 1st two I sold, Swmbo kept one and this one is for a grand daughter that's about to turn 7. I figured she needed a chair to rock her dollies to sleep!:thumb:
IMG_0319-1.jpg

I wish I had lower grade walnut available here, despite the unfriendliness of it I think that has more appeal to the eye; at least to me and specially in that chair.

This is one of those pieces that I would keep for all my life and I am pretty sure that your grand daughter will do the same:thumb: Great Job!:thumb:

Last edited:
Man, that's some awesome wood, Bryan. I'm guessing you also did a fine job on the rocker, but I can't take my eyes off the gorgeous wood long enough to check. :thumb:

That's pretty nice wood you used in that little rocker. I would agree that your granddaughter is getting what will eventually be a family heirloom.

Nice Work!!!

cheers

John

great job bryon on the no. 2 common walnut ,,,, not even in the ballpark thats one fine piece of wood.. now i think she needs a small table outa of that bad walnut as well:) :thumb:

I might have to make a trip up north for that. Good walnut around here is getting hard to find unless you want short boards. What did you use under the poly?

well bryan you know what they say???? if you dont like it leave or dont look.. as for me that wild grian you have in that chair is outstading,, yes its not what you would find in your local furntituer dept store,, its not maple and stained walnut or pine and stained cheery it real figured wood that you made with skill and compassion... and those who receive it will be apprecaitive .. dont let the others get you down there all wet in my book..:thumb:

Indoor light, outdoor light, dosent matter with that chair and walnut, looks great in any light IMO :thumb: Super project, nicely done, one happy granddaughter :thumb:

tom

Bryan, "if" that is "Gaudy", then I guess I LIKE GAUDY.:D That's a great job of the placement of the pieces of the wild grain and the end result is Strikingly Beautiful.:thumb: