Bountiful Woods in Architecture

glenn bradley

I'm not usually one for OT threads but I was on the verge of thread-jacking so; a discussion on the Gamble House ensued and the statement was made "You will see more mahogany and teak than you may have ever seen in one place before".

This led me to think of other places in my neck of the woods and thought it might be fun to see posts from other members regarding "stuff" that is in their area.

SoCal has the Gamble,
gamble entry.jpg

the similar but subtly different Blacker,
Blacker House.jpg

Sumner, Williams, etc. Houses of Green & Green fame.

How about the Queen Mary? To steal from Rennie "You will see more bird's eye maple than you may have ever seen in one place before".
queen-mary-hallway.jpg
all those upper panels are B.E. Maple and this is just one cabin hall!!!

And speaking of cabins -
Queen mary room.jpg

So how about it folks? Let's see your local wood-clad wonders ;-)

Last edited:
I forgot about all the wood in the Queen Mary. I was not really into woodworking the last time I was there, but I'll bet now I'd go crazy seeing all that nice maple.

Though not quite as well known for its wood, The Biltmore Estate in Ashville NC has some nice stuff. Some how I came across these :rolleyes: as cameras are not allowed. One of my faorite places I have visited.

Attachments

• Blue Ridge_Biltmore 029 (600 x 800).jpg
    Blue Ridge_Biltmore 029 (600 x 800).jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Blue Ridge_Biltmore 032 (800 x 600).jpg
    Blue Ridge_Biltmore 032 (800 x 600).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Blue Ridge_Biltmore 027 (800 x 600) (700 x 525).jpg
    Blue Ridge_Biltmore 027 (800 x 600) (700 x 525).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Blue Ridge_Biltmore 030 (600 x 800) (525 x 700).jpg
    Blue Ridge_Biltmore 030 (600 x 800) (525 x 700).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 10
On the boats that we build at work, I think we get high marks not so much for the volume of wood products we use, but rather the marriage of wood and steel as a whole. As a machinist I work one on one, and for months at a time, with certain carpenters to pull this off and to the tiniest of details.

Even for our area, a big boat building community, our company is known for only taking high quality wood, and in large volumes. Since we are not actually buying the wood, (the boat owners are) this wood is exotic, as in lots of Teak, Brazilian Cherry and Mahogany and is of course, expensive.

Here are some photos to let you make up your own mind.

stairs1.jpg

railing.jpg

staircase_large.jpg

Though not quite as well known for its wood, The Biltmore Estate in Ashville NC has some nice stuff. Some how I came across these :rolleyes: as cameras are not allowed. One of my faorite places I have visited.

I wasnt into woodworking when I went there in 2004, but I was very impressed with the indoor pool.
It was a tremendous estate(not meaning size, meaning beauty)

Last edited: