Soffits and Cutting Vinyl

Pete Simmons

Putting in new vinyl soffits. Was told to cut with a chop saw with a 80 tooth blade with the blade in backwards.

Anybody done this and agree/disagree with the backwards blade??

We did our house in 2007. Our house is a bungalow, 1045 sqft. We used tin snips to cut the soffit, facia and eavestrough. Yes, we did get a couple of blisters, but all in all it worked well. I've also heard the fine tooth blade in backwards story, but by that time we were half done...

cheers

John

I haven't done vinyl soffits, but I had to cut some corrugated fiberglass roofing a few years ago. An old friend finally convinced me to put the blade in my circular saw backwards and it worked perfectly. :thumb:

Soffits

Soffits - The covering at the edge of your roof where the roof meets the side wall. Function 1 is to seal the attic space from critters - function 2 and maybe more important is to allow ventaliation of the attic area by way of holes in the soffit material. Aluminum and vinyl are the current most popular material used.

I pick up the phone and call someone who knows what they are doing. That's the easiest way. :rofl:
Seriously, if it involves ladders, I would rather dip into the savings than end up in traction.

Edit: Apologies, that was not help at all was it? Oh, well.

Cutting soffits of any kind.

I have done many soffit jobs and the one thing I know works very well in vinyl as well as metal is a abrasive blade made specifically for your circular saw. No chipping, no worries about whether it is forward or backwards. Cuts vinyl like butter. You will be dealing with a fair bit of vinyl dust and it is advised that you use a dust mask for safety. Happy cutting:wave:

New user ... I just noticed that this post is two years old ... I hope this advise reaches someone that needs it now.

Last edited: