Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round-Point Tool

Round-Point Tool

Has anyone here used one...have one?

I was re-watching a Woodworks episode I have recorded and David Marks was turning a Sycamore bowl with an Ebony rim. A couple of times, he used what he called a round-point tool which looked like a round gouge with a tri-faceted point...ie, the point had three distinct flats on it.

I didn't really see him do anything with it that I can't do with other tools, but I was just curious if anyone else had used one. I don't recall ever hearing the term or seeing it in any of the catalogs or tool sites.
    Cody

Cody,

I've neither used nor have one, but I did happen to see one for sale at Woodcraft here in Austin. I was there on Saturday and just happened to notice it. I looked at it for a couple of minutes as I'd seen both David Marks and another turner on TV whose name escapes me use one in their episodes. Wish I could shed some light on usage, but at least you might find one at your local Woodcraft in case you are interested.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

I've not used one, but it looks like they have them at Packard's and Craft Supplies.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Cody, Here is a link that shows how to make one too...I've not used one either, but it looks like it's similar to a round skew??

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

That might be what some call a pyramid tool. Seem to be popular with those who use them. Looks easy enough to make.

I use mine all the time, it works well at what it is meant to do.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Has anyone here used one...have one?

I was re-watching a Woodworks episode I have recorded and David Marks was turning a Sycamore bowl with an Ebony rim. A couple of times, he used what he called a round-point tool which looked like a round gouge with a tri-faceted point...ie, the point had three distinct flats on it.

I didn't really see him do anything with it that I can't do with other tools, but I was just curious if anyone else had used one. I don't recall ever hearing the term or seeing it in any of the catalogs or tool sites.
    Cody, I made one out of a piece of steel I had laying around... mine isn't as precise and pretty as some I've seen... I saw one on a video and decided I could make it rather than buy one.. I use it as a clean up tool more than anything else, when I need to get into a tight or close place.. the video I saw, I think he used it doing some boxes or something relatively small. It's handy and with a grinder you can make your own, but I wouldn't necessarily think it to be indespensible either.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I'm glad you brought this up. I noticed that tool on the same episode and always had the same question. Just this morning I noticed on Doug Thompson's site that he sells a blank for making one.

Was gonna buy one of his u shaped gouges but he has been sold out for a long time now.

Love the Pyramid tool

I have a 1/2" pyramid point tool and love it. I still struggle with the skew and have used the pyramid point tool to round christmas ornaments. I sharpen with a little $6 diamond hone and it works well. I made a bunch of bottle stoppers and found it to be very helpful.

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/...point_tool.wmv is a link to a video on the AAW site that you can watch to see it in action.

I hope to have time after the holidays to do some serious skew practice but have to many things I want to make in the meantime to spend time practicing.

i have a henry taylor. i like it, just watched the video, and remembered how much i liked it.