SketchUp Version 7 Has Been Released

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave. :thumb: I'm downloading it now, but probably won't have much time to look at it for a few days. (It's the busy season at work, so my time is sliced pretty thin.)

You're welcome Vaughn.

I posted a short blurb on the Design. Click. Build. blog that shows a little bit about Dynamic Components and if you're interested, I've uploaded the base cabinet component from the video to the warehouse. You can download it and play with it.

:rofl:

Well, that's sumthin' new Doug. On some of the SketchUp boards people are complaining because it took so long for SU7 to come. Just switch to SU7 now. It won't be painful.

Dave

Dynamic Components ... iiiiiiiinteresting.... That's a solution to one of the most common questions I've gotten about skp. I'm not sure it's enough to get me to spend the $500 for, but it's certainly a selling point that appeals to me.

Dave, how tough are those dynamic components to create? I suspect there's a mechanism for identifying what can be stretched (or edges that can be moved?) when using the scale tool? I'm also intrigued by the iterative feature. I suspect there's a means of identifying which components get repeated and in which dimensions?

Maybe I'll download the trial and play with that a little bit...

Jason, alot of how you modify the component depends upon how it is drawn in the beginning. As an example, the kitchen base cabinet I linked to was drawn with separate components for all of the parts. It is done much like you'd build it in wood. I set up the left side to be stationary. The right side's position is set relative to the left side. The same applies to the face frame stiles. The length of the horizontal members; rails, bottom, drawer dividers and top is then adjusted to compensate for the width changes in the cabinet. The drawer dividers are specified as either visible or hidden depending on the number of drawers selected in the dialog box.

Much of the setup uses MS Excel type arguments so people who are used to working with Excel formulas should find this relatively easy.

Dave,

Have you revised your template for this version, should I use the one you provided before or is the new woodworking template in Version 7 equivalent to yours? I wish that they would have a way to pull all of my add-ins and existing template. I have lost track how many times I have updated versions, but I still can't remember everything I need to retrieve from my old version. Any suggestions as to how to make the updates more painless?

Bill, you could open the existing template via File>Open and navigate to the Templates folder (on the PC it is under C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6\Resources\en-US\Templates). Once the file is open, click on File>Save As Template. Then go to Window>Preferences>Templates and choose the file you just saved.

As far as the Plugins, Materials and Styles can be copied from the folders under SketchUp 6 to SketchUp 7. I found a freeware application called Q-Dir that allows me to have two or more explorer windows open so it is an easy drag and drop thing.

Your keyboard shortcuts should be transferred automatically.

I found a freeware application called Q-Dir that allows me to have two or more explorer windows open so it is an easy drag and drop thing.

:wave:

Are you using Win XP????....

'Cause you don't need to use any other app to have multiple explorer windows open. I have three open at this moment. Just go to menu item "my computer" and click. Then do it again, and again....

(Am trying Sketchup 7 already. No confusion.... yet...:wave:

Dave
Do you know if the Pro version upgrade from v6 to v7 is free like the one from v5 to v6 was? I bought my copy before Google bought SU and started giving the free version away.

Stephen, I know you don't need another application to do that but with Q-Dir I only have to open one window for that. Either way though.

Doug, no the upgrade to V7 Pro is not free. It's, I think, $95.

Well, I got the free version installed tonight and played for just a couple minutes, and it looks like the new version solves a video glitch I was seeing with version 6. Certain move operations used to hang or leave artifacts on the screen for a few seconds, but so far I've not seen it happen with the new version. (I've got a GeForce 8600 GTS video card with 512 MB of DDR3, so I figure it wasn't due to insufficient video resources.)

I do still have an issue with my mouse, though. It's a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, and the center mouse button (clicking the wheel) doesn't take me into Orbit mode. I have to use the keyboard command to orbit. I'm sure it's unique to this mouse driver, but it's a bit of an annoyance and slow-down.

Vaughn, glad the video glitch seems to have resolved itself. Remember you can make adjustments to the OpenGL settings under Window>Preferences>OpenGL that may make a difference in performance. You might go back to V6 and see if changing those settings changes the performance.

Is that a wireless mouse you've got? There is a known issue with wireless mice. I have just avoided using them but some users report that by changing the assignment for the CMB in the Mouse control panel, they are able to get Orbit in SU. It seems to be different assignments though depending upon the mouse driver.

:wave:

Are you using Win XP????....

'Cause you don't need to use any other app to have multiple explorer windows open. I have three open at this moment. Just go to menu item "my computer" and click. Then do it again, and again....

(Am trying Sketchup 7 already. No confusion.... yet...:wave:

Even easier, right click the start button and choose explore, however many times you want. :)

Is that a wireless mouse you've got? There is a known issue with wireless mice. I have just avoided using them . . .

The known issue for me is they devour batteries and the one the LOML has on her 'puter is really sluggish.

Last edited:
Of course you can do that but then you need arrange and possibly resize the windows so they don't overlap. I like opening a single window that can be split into multiple panes. But each to their own.

cbd7c390.jpg

0cf7b136.jpg