Woodworking in America... WOW

Bartee Lamar

Hey guys, just got back from WIA.

All my pictures are posted in this album...

http://picasaweb.google.com/bartee/WoodworkingInAmerica#

( just click on the 1st picture and you can navigate your way thru it. Sorry some of the pics are not great, but you will get the idea. )

This was a really great weekend. It has given me an excellent start to the whole handtools thing. I GET IT !!!

The atmosphere was really electric with excitement. We really had so much experience all around us.

I really enjoyed each and every guy that I talked with. So much sharing of knowledge and just being great people.

So I now have another forum to keep up with. Looking forward to the new experiences.

I did purchase 2 Auriou rasps, A Lee Valley #4 and the new LV dovetail saw.

I can see Japanese chisels in my future.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun way to spend a weekend. Thats a pretty impressive concentration of woodworking talent and knowledge. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Wow is right!

boy, I would think my brain would explode with all of that info in such a short time! :eek:

Considering the content of the event, I had to laugh at your comment..........

Bartee Lamar said:
The atmosphere was really electric with excitement.

Yep, made me chuckle! :D:D

Well at least Bartee didn't degrade into a punster and say he had to cur-tail his enthusiasm ;-) Sounds like a great time for one and all!

Update: I got some time to go through the pics. Thanks for sharing all that. Really looks like a great time.

Last edited:
Bartee, I have been reading all the blogs about the event and they all are echoing your excitement. Now, I am really sorry that I did not make plans to go. I understand that there is talk about doing it again next year.

Any highlights about the event you can share?

Thanks Bartee for sharing and documenting the event so well. I learnt about a few new suppliers and more importantly gained insight to what the event is about for future. Great post

Is that an infill I see at a LN booth ?
http://picasaweb.google.com/bartee/WoodworkingInAmerica#5269429232023250370

Threw me for a sec as the next pics are Ron Brese pics and the lever cap looks like some of the ones Johnny Kleso has made for Ron, but the placard on the bench says LN and Ron's haven't been known to have adjusters.

Some of these guys are really wardrobe conscious aren't they? Roy Underhill, Frank Klausz, and Adam Cherubini looked like they stepped right out of their videos in full WW uniform.:D

Some of these guys are really wardrobe conscious aren't they? Roy Underhill, Frank Klausz, and Adam Cherubini looked like they stepped right out of their videos in full WW uniform.:D

Doug, it also looked like most of the audience just stepped away from their benches. My wife will not let me out the door with what I wear in the shop. I guess I can't blame her. The sweatshirt that I wear is stained with so much stuff it is down right embarrasing. Most of it is on the front and looks like I don't know how to eat, but it is just paint, stain, glue, WD40, oil, etc. on it. I don't believe most people would consider woodworkers to be on the cutting edge of fashion, although Bartee was looking pretty stylish!:D

Thanks for sharing with us an excellent trip. Looked like a well-done event. How many were allowed to attend? Looked like a pretty small crowd -- great to be able to talk and learn from each other and the presenters. Is there talk about having it at same location next time?