Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mahogony finishing...

Mahogony finishing...

I'm going to be starting my first foray into finishing Mahogony... the pieces i have are quite red with beautiful grain patterns.

I know to use grain filler... but what's next? Does somebody have a good description for somebody that's VERY green at finishing wood?

My previous experience has been just using the minwax poly-stain products... the piece i'm building is too nice for such basic treatment, so i'd like to do something new.

I have scrap to play on, so I'm not scared about trying something new.

I'd like to do something to bring the reds through, as well as enhance the grain.

-J

A lot of folks are more knowledgeable about finishing than I am, but I've done a couple of items. I recently finished a mantel top I made from mahogany. The first step was some Transtint dye to tone down the redness a bit. I sealed the dye with a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac. Next, I applied two coats of waterborne sealer and then topcoated with two coats of waterborne conversion varnish. Looks great.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Wgat are use going to use for a finish? Different finishes need diferent steps. I use oil mostly and will sand the wood to around 320 for the first coat and 600 for the second coat. This will leave a glass smooth finish.

Honestly I'm not sure what final finish I want to use... that's part of the advice I'm looking for.

I'd like a very smooth either semi-gloss finish. The top on the table I'm building will be corian, the legs and rails are what need finishing.

-J

Tod will jump in here. He knows a thing or three about finishing mahogany.

wow, this is something of high interest for me.

Tod must be busy installing these days. He was working on a very large overhead thing for a window seat last time I was at his shop. Beautiful. Don't know how he handles a lot of that stuff by himself. But, I digress.

i`m here.....been busy
    i really need more information on what the wood in question is being used for and what type of equipment and experience the finisher has to work with.
    whether or not fumes from the finish curing will cause problems...etc..

for the o/p on legs-n-apron of a corian topped table i`d suggest a solvent based gym floor poly applied with a good brush, thin the first and maybe second coats 50% then lightly sand and apply full strength successive coats sanding between coats untill the desired luster is achieved......
    now for folks with spray equipment the whole drill changes `cause i really hate poly
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

tod, what do you think of Tung oil rubbed in, maybe 2 coats with plenty of drying time, and something like Waterlox Tung/poly mix 2-3 coats for a tabletop? No spray equipment, very limited, almost non existant experience in finishing any wood besides splashing on Epinfanes or McCloskeys marine varnish.)

what kind of table allen?.......if it`s going to be used then that finish will offer very little protection.........but it`s easy to apply and looks great.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]