Sleep Loss

Larry Hibbs

This Forum has caused me to lose a lot of sleep since I joined. I just wanted to say, I've been on a lot of Woodworking forums and this one is the friendliest and most helpfull one I've run across. I have spent hours reading and looking at all the old posts and my to do list now is so long I'll never get it done.

Welcome Larry!

May I assume, from your avatar that you are into caricature woodcarving?.

I've just got a book about it and starting to make my own trials, so please post some pics of your work, we'll be delighted. (Me specially)

man whats this place comin too???

the larrys are comin outa the wood work,, someone been clone me???/ welcome to teh family and i was gonna introduce you to that spainard but he beat me to it.. he carves as well and you will surley get along fine.. once again welcome and join right in:thumb::wave:

This Forum has caused me to lose a lot of sleep since I joined. I just wanted to say, I've been on a lot of Woodworking forums and this one is the friendliest and most helpfull one I've run across. I have spent hours reading and looking at all the old posts and my to do list now is so long I'll never get it done.

If I missed you before Larry, Welcome aboard. I have GOOD Memories from a trip to your City, (in 1990 IIRC). I attended the National VICA Convention with my wife when she was on the Advisory Board, and I got a Great Deal from Powermatic after the Contests were over and bought my PM-66 there. I also got HOOKED on "Derby Pie".:D

Since I'm Diabetic now and can't eat the Sweets anymore, would you do me a Favor, and eat a "BIG" slice of that Derby Pie just for me.:thumb:

Hi Toni
I like all kinds of Carving, I REALLY ENJOY RELIEF, What portion of the forum would you post Woodcarvings in? If you are just getting started in woodcarving, there is a book titled " Carving the Little People" a very good book inexpensive less than $10.00, and you only need a piece of Basswood 3/4"x3/4"x2" for each carving.
Larry

Although I'm originally from Tennessee (next door to KY), I've never heard of Derby Pie. Would one of you please give me a virtual sugar rush and post a recipe? I'm also diabetic, so I'm sure I couldn't eat any either, but.....

Although I'm originally from Tennessee (next door to KY), I've never heard of Derby Pie. Would one of you please give me a virtual sugar rush and post a recipe? I'm also diabetic, so I'm sure I couldn't eat any either, but.....

Nancy, we "Bought the Recipe" (which took some real haggling and begging) while we were there (along with two Pies to bring home), and somewhere between Louisville,Ky and Odessa, Tx and a weird routing that required two plane changes...............we LOST that Recipe.:eek: (So every bite of those two Pies we brought home became a LITTLE 'Spensive):D

The name "Derby Pie" is a registered trademark of Kern's Kitchen, which registered the name in 1968. The company uses the name in the form "DERBY-PIE®" in official literature and advertisements. Kern's Kitchen diligently guards the trademark and secret recipe, which is known only to a small group of Kern family members and a single Kern's Kitchen employee (who actually mixes the recipe today). The company has filed several lawsuits over the years to protect its commercial rights. Because of this, others who make similar pies have had to alter their recipes slightly and/or use a different name (such as "Pegasus Pie", a reference to the Pegasus Parade at the Kentucky Derby Festival and May Day Pie, in reference to the First Saturday in May, the day of the Kentucky Derby).

This is all I could find on it Nancy, so its not much help Larry

The name "Derby Pie" is a registered trademark of Kern's Kitchen, which registered the name in 1968. The company uses the name in the form "DERBY-PIE®" in official literature and advertisements. Kern's Kitchen diligently guards the trademark and secret recipe, which is known only to a small group of Kern family members and a single Kern's Kitchen employee (who actually mixes the recipe today). The company has filed several lawsuits over the years to protect its commercial rights. Because of this, others who make similar pies have had to alter their recipes slightly and/or use a different name (such as "Pegasus Pie", a reference to the Pegasus Parade at the Kentucky Derby Festival and May Day Pie, in reference to the First Saturday in May, the day of the Kentucky Derby).

This is all I could find on it Nancy, so its not much help Larry

Your information Larry, is the same as what we found out while we were there and the Recipe we bought (but never got to use) :doh::( was from one of the "Slightly Altered" versions that tasted (to us) Very,Very close to the one from the Kern's. Some of the other semi clone Pies were real not close in taste to the original but pretty tasty in their own right.