Another Walnut NE...

Mark Cothren

Some things about this one that I'm not real fond of... would be glad to hear honest comments.

Apx 17-1/2" wide at the tips, 13-1/2" wide in the valley, and 7-1/2" tall. Antique oil was used for the finish.

BWNE01.jpg

BlackWalnutNE03Medium.jpg

Mark, I don't see anything wrong with this one, which is the case with all your work, but the curve does seem to be a bit more vertical that most of your NE's. :dunno:

Here is an honest comment for you.

That is one gorgeous bowl!!! :thumb:
The wood is outstanding, the shape is perfect, I love the heart wood to sap wood transition.

I would be proud to have that one in my collection.

Good job.

Honestly? I hope my first NE comes out half as nice. Great job of keeping the bark on and keeping the symmetry of the wings. If you don't want it...my address is...:thumb:

Mark, your execution and stunning photos make it hard to critique form. That bowl is gorgeous...as is all your work.

But, I think the bottom could have been done differently. It looks like it was sort of cut off. Perhaps a defined foot or a slightly smaller base would look better.

Then again, I might just be full of it. ;)

Mark, I don't see anything wrong with this one, which is the case with all your work, but the curve does seem to be a bit more vertical that most of your NE's. :dunno:

That's what I like about it.. the more vertical curve. I have a walnut tree that's been standing dead for a few years... I need to get it down so I'll have a little of the wood to play with.. won't be a big as yours, but will be nice to work with (hopefully)

You're right...it's horrible. Just go ahead and send it to me and I'll check it out more closely. :p

Your NE bowls on a bad day are better than the best a lot of us can do. ;)