Thread: New HF

New HF

In my effort to keep up with Brent...trust me...it ain't that good. This one is Purpleheart that was hard as a rock...5.5 x 2. I think this one came from Craft Supply. I used the S bar hollow tool, but I think the straight shaft (on order soon) will be a lot more fun. I can see where green wood would be better than dry stock for HF's. Dry has it's place and that comprises the bulk of what I turn...and green goes next!!!.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood 081.jpg   Wood 083.jpg   Wood 080.jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 11-18-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: stupid spelling and more insite
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

That came out looking nice, Jim. Keep 'em coming.

You're right...green wood is a lot easier to hollow out than the dry stuff. I recently turned a big (15" or so diameter) maple hollow form, and it was a real chore.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You've done a nice job, especially considering it's from a piece of purpleheart. I think God created purpleheart and nagging mother-in-laws to make us thankful for the finer things in life. Seriously, if you can sucessfully hollow purpleheart, your next and last challenge will be reinforced concrete.

Great job on the HF. Purpleheart can be a bear to turn sometimes.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

jim Burr
    I think you did a Yeoman's job on that purpleheart Jim. Looks good to me. Mitch