Steel City table saw arrives!!! and question

Craig Johnson

Hi everyone.
I ordered a Steel City table saw last week and she arrived today..
Will have pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

My saw came with a 12" table board.
I do not know what that is or where it goes. Dont see anything in the manual about it.
Is this merely an extension of the cast wings and if so where does it go?
Or is it a small outfeed type table?

Thanks everyone for your help.

If you got one cast iron wing for the left and one for the right like my Orion cousin, it is additional table surface to the right of the blade after the cast iron wing. I dumped mine and added an additional cast wing.

Craig. All I can say is congratulations on your purchase of a great machine. We have a 15" planer, 6" wedge-bed jointer, 13" wide-belt sander, VS mini-lathe, and a grinder, and we love them all. If and when the time comes for a new cabinet saw, it will be a granite-table Steel City. They are making some great machines!!

Now, get that thing dirty and give us your review!!

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the replies.
I have some pics I took Tuesday during initial assembly.
I have not gotten any farther than what is shown up to now.
Hope to finish assembly tomorrow (Friday).

So far very pleased with saw. Seems very good quality.
The thing that is kind of an issue right now is the cast iron wings seem to bow in the middle. I have the ends lined up with the center section but the middle of the wings seem to be bowed downward. I emailed Steel City and will see how that turns out.
Anyway, on to the pics.
Nothing exciting since its not fully assembled yet.
Will take more when assembly continues.

Here is the metal container that surrounded the saw.

IMG_1951.jpg

Saw packaging removed.....Sweet!
IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

Here is the metal container that surrounded the saw.

IMG_1951.jpg

Congratulations Craig. I hope you enjoy it and get many hours of fun from it. By the way I got exactly the same frame with my saw. I think they must have been made in the same factory. (for the record mine is craftsman version of the same saw) What do you have planned for that piece of steel. I have been debating what to with it but the welding and squareness make it somewhat unusable, but being a recycler I cannot bring myself to throw it out.

I am really itchy to run some wood through it!!

Hopefully today...we will see...

Rob-
I will not be throwing away the shipping cage mine came in. It is a good heighth for an impromptu work bench. Thats what I used it for when assembling the saw. For now its on the side of my house since I have no room in my garage. I just might attach some plywood on the top just for that.

I also just talked to the nice people at Steel City. The recommended I loosen the 4 bolts that hold it to the center section, get the rear one flush, and tighten it. Then push either up or down on the extension, get it flush and tighten that one then do that to the remaining bolts. He said they do this on most of theirs at the showroom. He also said that on the Deltas there is only 3 bolts making it more difficult. Nice they improved on the design.
He said that the extension will flex/bend a bit allowing it to become flush if their procedure is followed.

I bought a 18" bandsaw for Steel City when they first came out and the guides would not adjust right for the smaller blade that I wanted to run. I called and talked them and told them what the problem was ( it was a design flaw) and they went and had a new part machined and sent to me in 3 days. I also have there drill press and love it. I will be upgrading more of my machines to Steel City great stuff and fantastic service they seem to listen.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jay

I am very happy with their service.
I got my extension tables adjusted correctly earlier today based on the info they provided.

I am finished assembling the saw. Very happy about that.
Here are some pics of it completed:

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

One thin I still need to do is chance the voltage to 220 so I can use it.
Am going to use the outlet for our clothes dryer which is in the garage.

Can anyone help with what I am supposed to use?
I read I should be using 10 ga cable. But, do I purchase a dryer cable and convert it or just some 10 ga electric cable and wire a plug?

The dryer is on its own 30a circuit in the main fuse box in the garage.
Maybe some of you veterans can give me some info/advice......

I am very happy with their service.
I got my extension tables adjusted correctly earlier today based on the info they provided.

I am finished assembling the saw. Very happy about that.
Here are some pics of it completed:

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Isn't it pretty!!!!????

Now, get that electrical done and get it dirty--it's too clean (and so is your shop--at least the part I can see).

I'll have hubby get on here under his own log-in and respond to your electrical question.

Craig,

I did the same thing when I got my SawStop. I bought some 10 gauge cable and a dryer cord. I connected the cabling to the box on my saw. I snipped off the eyelet connectors on the ends of the dryer cord, stripped off some of the insulation from both the cable and the cord, soldered the wires (one for one), enclosed each wire's connection in heat-shrink material and then used a really large diameter heat-shrink that fit over all three wires to finish sealing the connection.

(I wasn't sure which of the two connection were "hot" on the dryer outlet, so I unplugged my dryer and pulled the back off the dryer so I could see where the wires connected. I used a multimeter to determine which wire went to which lug on the plug. After I knew the two "hot" lugs, I made sure to wire the new wire/cord combo so they fed to the correct locations in the connection box on the saw.)

I hope this helps rather than muddy the water for you. Let me know if you have any specific question.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some sawdust.

...But, do I purchase a dryer cable and convert it or just some 10 ga electric cable and wire a plug?...
Unless the dryer outlet is right next to the saw, I think you'll have trouble finding a dryer cable that's long enough. I'd just buy the cable and wire on a plug. And in my case, it'd probably only take me two trips to the hardware store to get the right plug. :doh:

Just a thought Craig. Might you think about putting in a "either-or" switch and two outlets? 220VAC can be a bit nasty if you and your wife are reaching over things to try to pull a plug out of an outlet.