Quick and Easy Windows XP Picture Resizer

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
There is plenty of picture resizing software available, but here's an easy, free one some of you Windows XP users might find handy. Larry Hibbs wanted to share this picture resizer that he found, but it was a bit larger than the allowable attachment size, so I offered to make it available via another approach. This was developed especially for Windows XP, but it might work on other Windows versions. It is very simple to install and use. Heck, I could probably even teach Larry Merlau how to use it. :rofl:

This little program is part of the Microsoft PowerTools for Windows XP that are available free from the Microsoft site. The PowerTools utilities are made by Microsoft developers in their spare time after a product release. It's not an officially supported Microsoft product, but it's made available free of charge by Microsoft nonetheless.

Click this link to download the software in a zipped format. When are prompted, select the Save to Disk option, browse to the folder where you want to store the zip file, and click Save. The file is named ImageResizerPowertoySetup.zip.

After you have downloaded the file (it's small, so it will only take a few seconds), double-click on it to begin the installation. Follow the prompts displayed, and the installation will be done in just a few seconds.

This program is not one that you have to explicitly "run". Instead, it adds new functionality to Windows Explorer and your desktop. After you install it, you simply right-click on the picture file you want to resize, select Resize Picture, then pick one of three sizes...Small, Medium or Large. (The Medium size is perfect for posting here.) The program then makes a resized copy of your picture file, and saves it in the same folder with the original. For example, if you resize a pic named MyTablesaw.jpg, the name of the new resized file will be MyTablesaw (Medium).jpg.

If you try it then decide you don't want it, it is easily removed through the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. Just find Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP on the list, click on the program name, and click Remove.

If you have trouble with picture resizing, you might want to check this one out. Thanks to Larry Hibbs for suggesting it. :thumb:

Hi Vaughn

I don't have Windows XP....only Windows 98 (ask the old guys, they might remember it...:rofl:) and, I'm using a picture viewer and editor that is called FastStone
http://www.faststone.org/

I can Resize, Crop and add text among all the other editing features like Sharpen/blare, Colors, contrast, brightness and many more...

As for Resizing, I can resize to a standard sizes (like 800x600 or 640x480 etc) or custom size.

Regards
niki

MS Power Toys

Thanks Vaughn for this tip. Amazing what MS has that take a while to find out. I looked up the whole list of Power Toys and wow some neat little applications.

Link here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

One that some people might find very usful that i have just found is the Webcam timer shot. I have a weather station and have wanted to set about capturing a webcam image of the weather each day maybe three times a day. This little app will do it for you. There are a bunch of ther useful apps as well.

Thanks again.

Vaughn said! It is very simple to install and use. Heck, I could probably even teach Larry Merlau how to use it. :rofl:

well you just took your name of the christmas list :rofl: and even worse i had you penciled in for ths springs tour.. took that off to.. or maybe i shouldnt and just drop in unannounced and scare ya:eek::huh:

Another freebie is Irfanview. Check it here. It has a lot of capability including resizing images.
Irfanview is one of my go-to tools, for both play and work. It's got a lot more capability than many other similar programs, but it's probably a little more difficult for people to figure out. (Especially the non-techies.)

Irfanview is one of my go-to tools, for both play and work. It's got a lot more capability than many other similar programs, but it's probably a little more difficult for people to figure out. (Especially the non-techies.)
The MS Powertool sounds like the way to go for most folks. I'll probably add it to my box also.

My usual "go-to" for about the past 15 years has been Polyview. At the time I started with it, there was little to choose from for even simple image editing. I started with the free version, but quickly bought the license for all of $10 at the time.

Hi Vaughn

I don't have Windows XP....only Windows 98 ...

I've been using it for maybe 4 years and had it on Win98. I'm not 100% sure but I dont think they changed anything on it. I think the same download will work, maybe even back to Win95. It wont do anything but resize but for that, it couldn't be easier. The documenttion is also somewhere on MS site and it's a whopping 1 page.

This program is not one that you have to explicitly "run". Instead, it adds new functionality to Windows Explorer and your desktop. After you install it, you simply right-click on the picture file you want to resize, select Resize Picture, then pick one of three sizes...Small, Medium or Large. (The Medium size is perfect for posting here.) The program then makes a resized copy of your picture file, and saves it in the same folder with the original. For example, if you resize a pic named MyTablesaw.jpg, the name of the new resized file will be MyTablesaw (Medium).jpg.

It will also do more than one file at a time if you have multiples selected when you right-click.

There's also an option of having it just resize the original without creating a new-name version.