Rikon Bandsaw

Chris Mire

Anyone have any experience with rikon tools. i have heard good reviews on their stuff lately. i am considering buying this bandsaw because it has such good resaw capacity and what seem like other good features. here are the spec from woodcraft's website.

"Rikon Model 10-325 features 2 speeds (1445 & 2950 ft/min), 13" resaw capacity and a powerful 1-1/2 HP 110/220V motor. The blade tracking and tension windows add safety while aligning your blade. Changing the 111" blades (accepts 1/8" to 3/4" width) is easy with a hinged blade guard that provides 2" of access – there's no twisting to install or remove blades. The quick release blade tension is designed to operate horizontally adding to the ease of use of this bandsaw. The 16" x 20-1/2" cast iron table is supported by a one piece trunnion system. Hinged steel doors make access to the cast iron wheels easy and the tool holder keeps your tools accessible. The enclosed cabinet is accessible for storage of extra blades and jigs. Includes micro adjustable blade guide bearings, work light, heavy duty fence with re-saw bar and 4" dust port."

here is a pic

rikon.jpg

my use of this bandsaw would mostly consist of cutting curves and stuff like that. but i would like to use it for resawing as well.

any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks
chris

chris, rikon is a relatively new player in the tai/chi import game......i don`t know where they came from? my take on tai/chi tools is to shop mainly by local sales & warranty second by brand or price.......if you do have any trouble it`s better to be able to walk into the store you bought the tool from and speak to the person who sold it to you. for cutting curves in 3" or thinner stock 1-1/2hp should serve you well but please don`t have high expectations of resawing 13" hardwood with such a small motor......with a sharp blade it can be done but you`ll be pushing the saw.......tod

Have the Rikon going on two years, got it from Woodcraft.
Had a sharp salesman show me the pros and cons of the Rikon.
One of the things that I remember is the blade guides. Most come with plastic (?) and he claimed that you would be repairing them at more of expense. Not for sure if I am explaining this right, but check the blade guides out, and compare them with other brands.
I AM HAPPY WITH IT.

thanks guys.....so tod. what can be considered a reasonable hp for resawing something that tall? i would assume the size and tpi blade would play a factor as well. i also looked at the E-16 (i believe it's called), from MM. The MM16 is just way out of my range right now. althought i do wish to end up with one in the future. The E-16 has a 2.8hp motor and can handle up to a 1" blade. Is this saw basically the old MM16?

thanks
chris

Chris, no the E16 is not in the same league as the MM16, new or old. totally different frame. Not nearly as heavy. But that being said, it is a nice bandsaw. It replaces the older S16 that was made by Meber. At the 15 or 16 hundred dollar range they ask for it now, I'd have to do some serious thinking and looking. If it's on sale and close to the competition pricewise, it would be on my short list. At the intro price I got mine for, it was a no brainer! Still waiting for my flex hose to come off back order status so I can put it through it's paces and really learn what it can do. But it is smooth and powerful. Jim.

thanks jim. the main reason i asked that question was because i seemed to remember the MM16 being a little less pricey before the new models came out. so i thought maybe that was what they did. thanks for the clarification.

they were 1395 last time i checked on the MM website. a clearance sale. still double the price of the Rikon, and for my needs at the moment i am not sure it would be worth that investment.

thanks
chris

Yeah, I was lucky and got in on one of the first 5 or 10 they sold a year and a half ago at the introductory price of 995.00. I had looked at the S16 2 years ago at the Woodworking Show, and decided to save my pennies for a little while longer and get the MM16. MM was very nice and took one to that show for me to look at. They originally weren't planning to take one. The S16 was about 1600.00 then and the MM16 was on sale that month (year end) for 2100.00 or so. The MM16's have gone through some major revamping with the bigger motor and the larger resaw capacity since then. And the price did go up some. I think they are 2395.00 through this month on sale? Anyway, the E16 deal came out and I jumped on it. The guy that broke the news on Woodnet messed around and didn't get one!! Told him, sorry...I'll think about you everytime I turn mine on!!:thumb: That's why I said at the current prices, I'd have to think about the E16 vs the other bandsaws on the current market. It is basically 1000.00 less than the current MM16. I probably wouldn't wait for the MM16 today, but I would have to look at the Steel City, Rikon, Grizzley, and Jet and compare them closely today. Jim.

thanks guys.....so tod. what can be considered a reasonable hp for resawing something that tall? i would assume the size and tpi blade would play a factor as well. i also looked at the E-16 (i believe it's called), from MM. The MM16 is just way out of my range right now. althought i do wish to end up with one in the future. The E-16 has a 2.8hp motor and can handle up to a 1" blade. Is this saw basically the old MM16?

thanks
chris

chris, resawing 13+ inches of hardwood takes some guts in a saw, my big saw has a 9hp motor on it and with a feeder and sharp blade it`ll do 13" at the slowest feeder setting! if you`re going to resaw by hand i`d suggest at least a 3hp motor and be prepared for it to take a while to chew through an 8 footer!
realistically though you can resaw 12" on the old 1-1/2hp deltas with the riser block and steel guides.......i`ve done it:eek: but if you intend to try and make some money cuttin` wood i wouldn`t suggest going that route..
the e-16 is not in the same league as the mm series saws.....even the old style(i own one)......if you`re lookin` to resaw in the 13" range on a budgit i`d suggest looking for an older 20+ inch saw ........tod

tod,

i guess i should have said in the beginning, i really have no reason to resaw 13" at this moment. nor do i expect to anytime soon. i guess when i saw that number my ignorance took over and i immediately thought more was better.
i do however forsee myself wanting to at least be able to resaw up to 8 or 9" stock. and most of the cheaper saws don't go any higher than 6" unless you purchase the riser kit.

thanks for the helpful insight. i still have some shopping to do and with Steel City coming out with a 14" saw in Jan....that could change things a little depending on what they offer.

i may do a little looking around for a good used saw as well.

thanks again
chris