Blogging

Bill Satko

I have been mulling this thought over for sometime (deep thinking always takes me awhile). I have come to the conclusion that woodworking blogs are my primary source of woodworking news and information.

When I first started my path down the woodworking path my sources of information were Fine Woodworking and various books. I remember pouring over the black & white issues of Fine Woodworking trying to absorb what I could.

Sometime in the mid 90's I discovered the wild and woolly usenet newsgroups and lurked for a long time in The Wreck (rec.woodworking). I believe that time was the golden age of The Wreck. What a wondrous thing it was. So many giants of thought expounding on woodworking and life. Soon my Wreck hero's moved on toward other pursuits (hopefully working wood full time) and the trolls won the battle and it degenerated into even more troll attacks and off-topic political discussions.

I then discovered the Forums and was very content for a while. The Family is the only one I really contribute to now and I slowed my lurking in others. Now I find myself following certain woodworking blogs. I am leaning more and more to the handtool side of things and I can find bloggers who specialize in just that area. There is so much detailed information posted in these blogs.

I hope to continue to be involved here, but I would like to recommend to others to look around at the bloggers that are out there. I think you will find great nuggets of woodworking information and inspiration there.

If you are interested in hand tools, may I suggest TheUnpuggedShop www.unpluggedshop.com It is compilation of blog posts that is constantly updated. It will allow you to find other bloggers on the subject.

Bill I agree with you, there are tons of wworking blogs out there with loads and loads of info. Here is a great source for finding quite a few.

http://thewoodwhisperernetwork.com/

Disclaimer: My Blog is listed on this site, but I gain nothing other than possibly more traffic from being listed.

I must admit, I kind of agree with you. I started over on Wood Online, kind of gravitated to Sawmill creek, but when John Deere Addict/ Steve Ash PMed me and said this place had formed, I felt privileged to come here.

Back in those days you would see the sub-forum topics unchanged for a week because there were so few members. It was not bad, just small, so I tried my best to inject as many thread starters as I could to kind of keep things rolling. So did the other 25-30 members and what you see today is what was started with then.

I'm not sure how, but this place is really unchanged. A few have dropped in and out, but in 3 years time (I think) the familiar crowd has gathered and stayed, and there is a great collection of new woodworkers. I aliken it to going to the old hardware store where people pull up an empty spike keg, talk woodworking or whatever, and then come and go as the non-stop conversations take place.

Lately though I have been contemplating something radically different. I like people on all the forums I visit, but maybe its too many. Posting, blogging, starting threads...whatever you want to call it, I have been thinking of severely limiting my online time. You know, try to do more do, and a lot less typing. I was thinking today, probably the only forum I will stay with will be Family Woodworking. No member bashing, no foul language, no over-inflated egos. Yep limit myself to the best forum on the web.